Jetstar’s new baggage policy with multiple boards.

Henno's picture
Henno started the topic in Saturday, 2 Jun 2018 at 6:42pm

Last year I took a 7’6” bag to Bali then Lombok but now the new scamstar baggage rules says $25 each way so they can kick shit out of my board bag. Fair enough still cheaper than Garuda so I break out the CC. Today I chatted online with a Philippine bloke and he says if I carry 2 boards in one purpose built double board bag within their weight limits I must pay the handling fee twice! To carry one bag!

I then asked the same question on their Facebook page and an Australian (I think) has backed this up. I have never been asked how many boards were in double or triple bags before. I wanna take a 9’0” mal and leave it at Medewi permanently and a 7’6” or something.

I wrap up multiple boards in bubble wrap so if they ask how many boards I have and don’t believe it when I say 1 they would have to cut through tape and bubble wrap to see what the hell is in there. The Xray process for board bags always seems to be after I have checked in and gone to war about carry on weight etc.

Anybody copped the question about multiple boards in one bag at Brisbane since they started this rule?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 6:30am

That's insane. Haven't experienced it myself (flew to NZ with Jetstar recently with a board bag, they treated it as one) but wouldn't rule it out elsewhere.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 7:37am

Bastards....
Do you actually save many dollars by flying Jetstar O.S.
After all the add ons ..baggage food drinks etc...is there much of a saving in it compred to other airlines that give you 23kgs allowance ..with no board charges ?

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 7:41am

I've still got away with never paying that $25 fee with Jetstar since they brought it in.
Boarded four flights.
All domestic though.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 7:58am

Malindo start Melb Denpasar flights June 8th for around $530 return ..

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 10:52am

Flying Jetstar to indo on Thursday, with 3 boards in a 8’0 board bag. Will be interesting to see what they say

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 11:27am

How much was return Ticket ?

Ash's picture
Ash's picture
Ash Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 11:27am

Just got back flying Jetstar, their length limit on an A320 is 7'6", and there is a $25 each way fee for oversize baggage. Their weight limit is 20kg's, I took 2 boards that came in just under 20kg's but I bought another 10kg's on the way back as we use the boardbag to stow clothes etc that we bought. You can have 4 boards in a bag as long as it doesn't exceed the Jetstar length and weight limits, but other Indo airlines can charge per board as I've experienced a few times. The thing with Jetstar is to have it all organized well before you rock up to the check in counter as it will get much more expensive there, again personal experience has taught me that. Personally I reckon Jetstar suck, but that's all we've got as a direct flight option from Adelaide, Virgin were muuuch better, Jetstar is literally an air bus with not even a glass of water offered for free.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 12:06pm

Udo about $600

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 12:14pm

Including pre paid baggage ?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 12:26pm

I flew roughly 20 times last year, international and domestic here, Japan and Indonesia. I was usually carrying a 7ft double board bag but was always under weight. I was not charged extra by Jetstar, Garuda or anyone else. Maybe just lucky, but as Ash said, be organised and under weight and the odds move in your favour.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 12:33pm

Pre-pay your baggage and don't select oversize.
Go to the counter and be nice to the desk attendant to check in, or if no desk same with the people helping out with self check in. Give them a smile.

Ash's picture
Ash's picture
Ash Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 12:39pm

It could be that Adelaide airport is much smaller than Sydney, Melbourne , Brisbane and we may get the uber scrutiny treatment as opposed to the mayhem with the bigger airports, however I've found that if your boarding pass has the everything correct and above board, it's a cruise through.
We flew Jetstar, Garuda, Citylink and Trigana Air this trip and Jetstar could learn from their Indo competition. Even on trips less than an hour we got fed + a drink and great service, I was a little apprehensive with Trigana but they shone through and the take offs and landings near perfect, which when it comes down to it is everything.

linez's picture
linez's picture
linez Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 2:24pm

Flew bris - bali a few days ago. Payed the $25 oversize fee when I booked as i just didn't want the hassle and expense at the airport. Brought two boards in a double bag with clothes etc. and no mention of extra fees for mutiple boards.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 2:27pm

Udo baggage yes 20kg but I didn’t pay the $25 each way board fee. Just going to try and get away with it at the airport

Henno's picture
Henno's picture
Henno Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 3:31pm

I am thinking it is only the letter of the law with their new regulations and I have paid the $25 there and back for me and the mate I am going with. The people on the Jetstar Facebook site can’t say ‘look mate you’ll be right with 2 boards in a bag, nobody gives a shit’ I think I might pull my head in and stop moaning about it or they might flag my boarding pass and I’ll become the first bloke to have his board bag opened and counted.

Henno's picture
Henno's picture
Henno Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 3:42pm

Sorry multiple posted and can’t delete

Henno's picture
Henno's picture
Henno Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 3:43pm

My bad

Henno's picture
Henno's picture
Henno Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 3:41pm

Oops

Henno's picture
Henno's picture
Henno Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 3:39pm

I once got the birthday sale tickets for $200 one way but free returns. That meant wife and son and I got there and back for $600 even with Jetstar charging extra for luggage, seatbelts and oxygen you can’t touch that. This year’s trip I booked a fair way out and cost us $540 return from Bris after luggage so next year will defy look at Garuda etc now this board handling fee has started.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 3:52pm

Garuda dropped the Brissy Denpasar leg a few yrs ago
they used to give you 20kgs allowance plus additional 23 odd kgs sports allowance.
Flew Malindo recently and was cheaper to use Direct Flights.com.au for return ticket than thru Malindo site ? A saving of about $ 45.
i presume Direct Flights buy a certain number of seats from them at a gd price ?

Henno's picture
Henno's picture
Henno Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 4:37pm

Udo how much was Bris to Denpasar return in total through direct flights.com? Do they give you 20kg included?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 4:57pm

7kg carry on + 23kg checked baggage inc...
check Malindo site baggage sports allowance /length
About $520 return - Tea Coffee Water and a meal inc
Just checked Direct flights prices are high at moment ...but then again Virgin are about $200 more.
Day after i booked... Virgin had my dates price at about $470..about same baggage allowance..Join up with all of them for Price Alert Emails.
Spoke to someone that bought a cheap Malindo economy seat to DPS and got a cheap bussiness class seat for the night flight home ..said he enjoyed the bigger seat etc for the sleep....

Henno's picture
Henno's picture
Henno Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 4:53pm

Thanks for that. Looks like Malinda dates don’t go out the full 12 months like Jetstar and I can’t see flights past about Feb 2019 at the moment. Their board length seems to be 277cm like Jetstar though.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 5:32pm

One of jetstar asia flights is 2.3mt board length
I guess bussiness ticket one way gives more baggage allow and entry to airline VIP lounges with free food etc ?
Edit: 40 kgs and free in Air WiFi on most flights

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 5:23pm

Boeing 787 Jetstar from Melbourne
The limit is 2.77m or 9ft

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 5:29pm

D.S. will fit nicely..

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 5:32pm

haha my thoughts exactly

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Sunday, 3 Jun 2018 at 6:08pm

I just flew Jetstar return Bali I was under the impression as long it was within
there weight allotment we were fine 20kgs cattle class 30kgs for business and
we could combine our weight 4 of us 80kgs total. My son and I both had 4 boards
each no worries we also had super heavy carry ons but they never checked there
weight fortunately. No issues either way.

Solitude's picture
Solitude's picture
Solitude Monday, 9 Mar 2020 at 9:29am

Anyone had any recent experience flying Jetstar domestically with boards?
I flew to WA a few years ago and had issues with board length (was only a 6'6). Not sure if this has changed.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Monday, 9 Mar 2020 at 3:30pm

Here you go Sol...
Jetstar Airways (JQ) flights on Boeing 787 = 2.77m
Jetstar Airways (JQ), Jetstar Asia (3K) Jetstar Japan (GK) flights on A320, A321 = 2.3m
Jetstar Pacific (BL) = 2.0m
For journeys with multiple carriers and aircraft types, the lowest maximum size limit applies.
Remember: no single item bag or item can weigh more than 32kg.

Solitude's picture
Solitude's picture
Solitude Monday, 9 Mar 2020 at 3:56pm

Thanks Optimist. Certainly won' t taking anything > 9 foot anywhere too soon :)

Solitude's picture
Solitude's picture
Solitude Monday, 9 Mar 2020 at 3:58pm

PS - anyone tried the old 'self check in' --> put own tag on board bag --> straight over to oversized baggage? (i.e. not getting stung for paying for oversized baggage).

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 9 Mar 2020 at 4:04pm

no, but I'm an expert at putting foot under board bag when it's on scales to give it a little help with gravity.

get that thing from 33 to 31 kilos all day every day.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Monday, 9 Mar 2020 at 4:07pm

"no, but I'm an expert at putting foot under board bag when it's on scales to give it a little help with gravity.

get that thing from 33 to 31 kilos all day every day."

Classic mate does the same although surfs longer boards.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 13 Nov 2023 at 8:46am

Billy lobbying Hawaiian Air and winning..