JS HYFI

kbomb's picture
kbomb started the topic in Sunday, 3 May 2020 at 11:34pm

Just seeing if anyone has any experience with the HIFI construction. Wondering how strong it is compared to the PU boards or other epoxy stuff out there. How is their longevity, do they get depressons from feet and son on. Thanks

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 5:06pm

bump

eel's picture
eel's picture
eel Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 6:15pm

I got a new Black Box 3 Hyfi 3 weeks ago after snapping my PU one. I also currently have a JS MonstaBox round and a Pyzel Ghost and have had two JS black box 2s in the past (all in PU). I like JS boards but this new one is my first Hyfi. It is the exact same dimensions as my PU one was.

I was skeptical about the hyfi (the price was good so I gave it a try) and haven't bought an eps / epoxy for about 8 years but this feels unreal. I don't know if it's just the lightness of the board but it has an extra squirt when I get to my feet and is very responsive for turns. It doesn't feel boaty at all. The only negative is that it does seem to get front foot compressions easily but that doesn;t worry me. I'm now rethinking my attitude towards EPS / Epoxy. I'd 100% recommend the Hyfi Black Box 3 for waves up to 4 foot.

kbomb's picture
kbomb's picture
kbomb Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 6:17pm

Thanks eel, the compressions and durability are my main concern as I am very hard on the decks, have cracked boards before. Do you expect it to hold up as well as PUs you have used in the past?

eel's picture
eel's picture
eel Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 6:32pm

I've snapped all my PU JS boards within the year except for my custom MonstaBox which is still going strong so I hope the Hyfi will last a year at least. As for the foot compressions, I too am pretty heavy footed, particularly on my heel on the front foot. I noticed the Hyfi compressed after the first surf but by about the 3rd or 4th surf the foot compression has remained the same. Spoke to a mate who has one and he said the same - they get foot compressions easily at the start but then kind of stop (if that makes sense).

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 6:46pm

Some good prices out there on N.O.S. ..well cured.

D-Rex's picture
D-Rex's picture
D-Rex Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 7:51pm

Speaking from personal experience, get a front traction pad and all your compression/grip problems are solved.

eel's picture
eel's picture
eel Thursday, 7 May 2020 at 3:49pm

I have thought about it, but reckon it would give you terrible rash when surfing in boardies.

KookDeVille's picture
KookDeVille's picture
KookDeVille Thursday, 7 May 2020 at 4:34pm

All boards are going to get compressions from feet/knees, it's inevitable. Unless you're specifically chasing the feel of EPS/epoxy, I'd suggest looking at a custom PU with a 4x4oz S-cloth deck. As long as the blank isn't overshaped, this should minimise the "dimpling" add negligible weight and maintain the familiar PU feel underfoot. Plus your board will be made in Aus (not sure if the Hyfis are still built offshore?) and subject to local QA standards.