Save Crescent head carpark!

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla started the topic in Monday, 10 May 2021 at 4:54pm

For anyone who has visited crescent head at anytime since surfing came to Australia,it was always drive in and park your car looking at the waves.

However,the KempseyShireCouncil want that carpark turned into greenspace and make a place for more cabins.

Not just any cabins, but luxury 500 a night(peak times) facing uninterrupted ocean views.

Recently 200 concerned locals rallied and voiced their opposition to the proposal,consequently the 6 cabins were "put on the back burner".However the plan to take about a third of the parking spaces is still on the table.

During covid, even during the week, its difficult to find a parking place(130ish now).

When the swells pumping, the street the country club is in is packed.

SMH today has an article about the situation.

Crescent is a national surfing reserve, in the early years a cultural meeting place.The first logs suited the soft days perfectly.

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Monday, 10 May 2021 at 5:31pm

Please voice your opposition to council members at council and community on the website

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=kempsey+shire+counc...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 10 May 2021 at 5:38pm

Argh i knew it had a proposed change to carpark, but didnt know they were trying to add extra cabins to the reclaimed green space,

Scumbags.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 10 May 2021 at 6:34pm

Apparently they’re trying to get rid of the pandanus because they interrupt the views from the caravan park. You can’t make this shit up.

Mcface's picture
Mcface's picture
Mcface Monday, 10 May 2021 at 7:53pm

Disgraceful. The whole town converges on the car park when the point is firing and the vibe is like nothing else. To get rid of this for a few "eco" cabins is complete bs. Love seeing the pandanus from the line up too.

Honestly when did big caravan park become the latest to pillage the coast? First the reflections in killalea and now this? Will help fight the good fight on this one. Unfortunately missed the killalea paddle out due to flu.

belly's picture
belly's picture
belly Monday, 10 May 2021 at 8:25pm

So I'm deducting the cabins will be right up against the footpath. The feeling of public space through that section the proposed cabins will occupy will be gone. Instead it will be the eyes of those paying for the privilege set upon you from their balcony up above.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 10 May 2021 at 8:40pm

ah progress............jeez what a monster the surfing culture has turned into and all for more money ,sort of what it was opposed to at the start when everyone was fleeing the city life and its money orientated greedy life style only to be replaced 50 years later by money and greed ..... full circle

kieron_h's picture
kieron_h's picture
kieron_h Monday, 10 May 2021 at 9:34pm

For those interested, some detail below.

To clarify, the proposed caravan park reconfiguration does not seem to extend into the Crown Land and reconfigured carpark - it stays within current site boundaries. However, it does propose a reconfiguration of the site to put new cabins at the (new) prime position of overlooking the Point... which is as egregious as it is brazen.

- Carpark reconfiguration / public domain plans: https://www.kempsey.nsw.gov.au/council/meetings/2020/2020-10-20/pubs/09-...
- Reconfiguration proposals for caravan park:

edit - sorry... links to caravan park reconfiguration aren't working as they are so long... try these

https://beta.kempsey.nsw.gov.au/files/content/public/sandbox/agenda-test...
https://beta.kempsey.nsw.gov.au/files/content/public/sandbox/agenda-test...

D-Rex's picture
D-Rex's picture
D-Rex Monday, 10 May 2021 at 10:10pm

Hope the golf course isn't affected. My wayward drives on the 6th and 7th have put cabin dwellers in grave danger in years gone by.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 10 May 2021 at 10:15pm

Very fond memories of Crescent and those long walls

philosurphizingkerching's picture
philosurphizingkerching's picture
philosurphizing... Tuesday, 11 May 2021 at 8:10am

carpark proposed changes

belly's picture
belly's picture
belly Tuesday, 11 May 2021 at 11:13am

Ok, I can't correct my previous post, and it was speculative.

The open space behind the car park is under utilised.
Stayed at the cabins once (normally visit by car from DN area) and we only ever walked direct to the bridge for kids play or down the south internal road for surf / general arvo walk.

So basically the surfers arriving by car lose pole position views. As per the original thread post, I'm wondering what the actual car space count will be (old versus new).

And, speculative again, I'm guessing the powered camp sites on the east/NE boundary will be taken over by the proposed cabins.