''4551'' - Sunny coast video from early 2000's

Mutius's picture
Mutius started the topic in Friday, 10 Mar 2023 at 10:08am

Hi all,

Probably a long shot but does anyone remember the surf movie "4551" shot around the Sunny Coast of both surfers and booger back in the early 2000's?

An even longer shot, does anyone still have a copy kicking around? Loved the movie but have no idea how to get a copy these days.

Cheers.

Troppo's picture
Troppo's picture
Troppo Wednesday, 15 Mar 2023 at 1:13pm
Mutius wrote:

Hi all,

Probably a long shot but does anyone remember the surf movie "4551" shot around the Sunny Coast of both surfers and booger back in the early 2000's?

An even longer shot, does anyone still have a copy kicking around? Loved the movie but have no idea how to get a copy these days.

Cheers.

Pretty sure it was made by Caloundra Bodyboarder Todd Evans. Try him on Facebook.
I used to have a copy, will check.

Mutius's picture
Mutius's picture
Mutius Wednesday, 28 Feb 2024 at 2:54pm

Hi mate,

Only just saw this. Notifications go to an old email. Thanks for the heads up will find Todd on FB.

Did you have any luck mate?

Cheers.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 28 Feb 2024 at 6:07pm

Speaking of old sunny coast vids back in 2001, a mega east swell hit, july by memory.
On either brownies coastwatch, or phippsy's creek to coast, they had a segment with Former aussie champ Darren Flex Landers, on the swell hitting Old woman island lefts. That particular day, I was surfing 3rd reef yaroomba, which also was ALL TIME, as was Point Perry I bumped into flex the a few days later, and he said I gotta watch this video . I just cant remember which tv station had it.
Even tho I got some epic Sunset beach like bombs at 3rd reef (but lefts), when I saw the video of old woman, I did get jelly. On Massive days, paddling out at mudjimba beach can blast your arms, then u got nothing in the tank to get over there, surf, and come back.
So if anyone can track down that segment, or get a hold of flex, Thatd be unreal.
Cheers.

tiger's picture
tiger's picture
tiger Wednesday, 28 Feb 2024 at 8:02pm

That swell you speak of Sheepy. Maroochydore rivermouth was unbelievable! 8ft and reeeeling left's. Think g-land over sand.

Andrew P's picture
Andrew P's picture
Andrew P Wednesday, 28 Feb 2024 at 9:53pm
Sheepdog wrote:

Speaking of old sunny coast vids back in 2001, a mega east swell hit, july by memory.
On either brownies coastwatch, or phippsy's creek to coast, they had a segment with Former aussie champ Darren Flex Landers, on the swell hitting Old woman island lefts. That particular day, I was surfing 3rd reef yaroomba, which also was ALL TIME, as was Point Perry I bumped into flex the a few days later, and he said I gotta watch this video . I just cant remember which tv station had it.
Even tho I got some epic Sunset beach like bombs at 3rd reef (but lefts), when I saw the video of old woman, I did get jelly. On Massive days, paddling out at mudjimba beach can blast your arms, then u got nothing in the tank to get over there, surf, and come back.
So if anyone can track down that segment, or get a hold of flex, Thatd be unreal.
Cheers.

July 5-6 2001?

Sasha Stocker getting pitted on an indo-style left. Pretty sure it was Brownies.
https://www.surfline.com/templates/article.cfm?id=45169&sef=true

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 29 Feb 2024 at 7:00pm
Andrew P wrote:
Sheepdog wrote:

Cheers.

July 5-6 2001?

Sasha Stocker getting pitted on an indo-style left. Pretty sure it was Brownies.
https://www.surfline.com/templates/article.cfm?id=45169&sef=true

Pretty sure yeah. Usually at 10 feet, theres an outer bommie out off the island that mucks up the swell. But on day 2 of the swell, there was enough south in it to not bring that into play. And it was in the 8 to 10 feet zone.
Because the wind was wnw, Noosa was choppy. So all the Sunny coast big wave open reefs and mysto spots were off their faces. Its the only time I ever surfed 3rd reef. 1 take off over shallow rock boil is still a highlight of my surfing life. And 2 of my long time coolum buddies were paddling out and saw it, which made it extra special hahahahaha. Apparently I free fell out of the lip and my trusty wavezone peter stumpy wallace swallow just reconnected on the face 1/2 way down and hung in there on a bit of rail and inside fin. Next thing I'm flying off the bottom with my knees nearly giving out, and fergo out on the shoulder screaming like a mad man.
Aaaaaah memories huh

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 29 Feb 2024 at 7:45pm

https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#boating@14&key=phmaDkjpe%5C
Move Map up to Old Woman shows Depths

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 29 Feb 2024 at 8:01pm

How you travelling Sheepy?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 29 Feb 2024 at 10:49pm
freeride76 wrote:

How you travelling Sheepy?

Finally back in the water over this summer mate. Nearly cried when I got a little tube lol.
Maaaaaan this recovering from serious injury in your mid to late 50s SUCKS.
But touch wood I can get a clean run for a year or 2.
How are u travelling?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 29 Feb 2024 at 10:55pm

BTW FR, that tasman low next week. I know with the paywall up on swellnet reports, we dont banter like we used to. I'd just like to call a major southerly groundswell event next week.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 1 Mar 2024 at 7:56am

Copy that mate.
Stoked to hear you are back in the water.
All good here.