Botany Nerds Ahoy

seeds's picture
seeds started the topic in Saturday, 29 Jul 2023 at 1:40pm

Seems a keen interest for some, so why not.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 22 Aug 2023 at 4:04pm

Looks similar to a native hibiscus, or relative (Alyogyne sp?)

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Tuesday, 22 Aug 2023 at 4:49pm
freeride76 wrote:

Freeride76. You are definitely getting back your plant mojo.

Same family, Malvaceae, the mallows, hibiscus etc. You are very very close. Clue- a relative may be the floral emblem of another state and another relative contributes to tee shirts. AW.

Bud1's picture
Bud1's picture
Bud1 Tuesday, 22 Aug 2023 at 6:30pm

6-EBBD324-7-DA5-470-B-A449-FDBE43-C5-D001
31-F8-F7-E6-57-DE-4-BAB-8-FD5-7-A3-E98-C7-B976
B76-CCC9-D-930-B-4-C0-C-849-B-1-DFBE51406-C5
BA35165-D-FBD2-43-EB-A9-AF-C58195-E35689
2796-F64-D-3-AC2-4-A3-E-8-D79-3-BB5-CB4-E64-A2
87-C59-CFA-5720-45-A0-9-AF4-CA4089-A267-EB
87-F2-EB7-B-F629-4-C5-B-AF46-75087-CA30-FE5
C8-B53508-75-F7-4-DF5-B76-B-26094-EB54-B50
E8-D460-C9-237-B-4775-8-AAF-90-CBBD58598-C
90610-EBF-233-E-4637-B263-27-CBCA866-EC3
B9199422-DB84-4-AE7-8275-0874-ED3-E29-B6
D5580-EAD-BCC8-43-E1-AD1-F-A4-D84-CF21-BFB
28-E5-F209-FAB5-455-B-BFB1-4-CF2177-A8129
4-BC3-AD42-DC58-4-BAF-9292-06-F56-A631-B6-A
7391729-B-EB22-4-FDD-9-B28-CEBA1-D375342
363102-A1-10-DC-4605-849-D-5-D8350-B3-DEEF
D8-AF54-B9-C171-4-A4-F-9-E36-FF2536877871
D32-B0-C41-EC2-B-45-E4-9-EE3-EBC85-FF5567-B
E4089893-CAD1-4-D9-D-AF49-3-E00-A106-C466
CA2-BB147-D2-BE-40-F7-BCE6-D325-DCA04-A36

Gidday AW (and free), sorry I can’t get photos for you AW, when I say I moved here, here is miles away. But if you are in that area, Elliston, I can quickly organize for you to be shown around there.

I live in the tropics now, fairly remote area near the equator. Its not a quick fly in fly out, and the weather is very unpredictable, so it keeps the numbers down. If you want to bring any sort of substantial boards or quiver, definitely boat trips required. These plants are part of the family now, and of course the jungle, shot from the rooftop deck/gym, is just out the door. I tried to do some panoramic thing, but it didn’t really work. The views are 360, the rest of the view is a restricted area. I’ve put one photo in especially for you free, I hope that you still recognize the genus, and are reaping its bounty. Essential genus for any surfer.

Yes santalum acuminatum AW, although I did plant some native sandalwood (santalum spicatum) trees as well on my 20 acre block, epic block, right on the point, but I sold that when I came here.

Quandongs really vary regarding fruit, huge variety of fruit, skin textures, colour, taste, flesh thickness, size. Some fruits the flesh clings to the nut, others the nut rattles around, easy to peel. The fruit is extremely nutritious high in vitamin C, some E, and, has minerals, and one of the highest antioxidant measures of any fruit. The nuts were particularly interesting, the CSIRO was finding all sorts of medicinal qualities, which Indigenous Australians understood and utilized, along with the fruit.

A big issue was our culture’s concern with cosmetics, appearances. It didn’t matter so much for making jams, but the food industry wanted perfect half fruits, which had to be achieved manually, and was very labour intensive. Cracking the nuts without cosmetically damaging the kernal was an issue, and to my knowledge was never solved satisfactorily. The CSIRO tried everything and put a lot of effort into trying to use equipment used to get apricot kernels, which are similar texture. The quandong nut is insanely hard though. When I moved to Port Lincoln, I let it go, but, there were some big enterprizes, one particular in Quorn.

Eye opening the business ideals of Beerenburg. Quandongs have a bit bitter, very tart taste, and unfortunately from my point of view were always used in conjunction with tons of sugar. Very interesting times, and like when picking seeds, it put me in contact with a huge varity of landscapes and plants.

As far as the weeping cherries, I harvested any seeds that I could get from any plant. At that time Eyre Native Seeds was the gun in the field. The owner had huge government contracts, supplied mining globally for revegetation, plus individuals, and sold self germinated tube stock and seedlings. So sometimes plants were required for gardens and landscaping. Those weeping cherries look stunning when healthy, plus you can eat the fruit. They raise several interesting issues. As you no doubt saw AW, at first glance a lot of Eyre Peninsula seems barren, but when you really get into it, there are many stunning plants, that can make for very lush looking but extremely tough, low maintenance, drought tolerant, resource rich gardens.

Another interesting issue is how virtually the same plant quite often has a prostrate form which can even be used as ground covers. There is weeping native cherry, native cherry, but another smaller, prostrate one with virtually identical fruit, that I would find around swampy ground. Likewise I used to come across huge, totally prostrate, ground cover forms of parrot bush, templetonia retusa, same leaves, same flowers, just spreading out for large distances across the ground.

Then there is the remarkable ways that leaves, foliage fit in to the environment. Those fleshy, spiky kind of leaves to conserve and hold water, and that funnel water, dew, perfectly down to the base of the plant and so roots. The foliage of coastal beard heath, leucopogon parviflorus, are epic for that too.

I’ll eventually get to the many other harvesting methods AW. Collecting the primed capsules launching into space.

The ocean is calling.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Tuesday, 22 Aug 2023 at 7:00pm
Bud1 wrote:

6-EBBD324-7-DA5-470-B-A449-FDBE43-C5-D001
31-F8-F7-E6-57-DE-4-BAB-8-FD5-7-A3-E98-C7-B976
B76-CCC9-D-930-B-4-C0-C-849-B-1-DFBE51406-C5
BA35165-D-FBD2-43-EB-A9-AF-C58195-E35689
2796-F64-D-3-AC2-4-A3-E-8-D79-3-BB5-CB4-E64-A2
87-C59-CFA-5720-45-A0-9-AF4-CA4089-A267-EB
87-F2-EB7-B-F629-4-C5-B-AF46-75087-CA30-FE5
C8-B53508-75-F7-4-DF5-B76-B-26094-EB54-B50
E8-D460-C9-237-B-4775-8-AAF-90-CBBD58598-C
90610-EBF-233-E-4637-B263-27-CBCA866-EC3
B9199422-DB84-4-AE7-8275-0874-ED3-E29-B6
D5580-EAD-BCC8-43-E1-AD1-F-A4-D84-CF21-BFB
28-E5-F209-FAB5-455-B-BFB1-4-CF2177-A8129
4-BC3-AD42-DC58-4-BAF-9292-06-F56-A631-B6-A
7391729-B-EB22-4-FDD-9-B28-CEBA1-D375342
363102-A1-10-DC-4605-849-D-5-D8350-B3-DEEF
D8-AF54-B9-C171-4-A4-F-9-E36-FF2536877871
D32-B0-C41-EC2-B-45-E4-9-EE3-EBC85-FF5567-B
E4089893-CAD1-4-D9-D-AF49-3-E00-A106-C466
CA2-BB147-D2-BE-40-F7-BCE6-D325-DCA04-A36

Gidday AW (and free), sorry I can’t get photos for you AW, when I say I moved here, here is miles away. But if you are in that area, Elliston, I can quickly organize for you to be shown around there.

I live in the tropics now, fairly remote area near the equator. Its not a quick fly in fly out, and the weather is very unpredictable, so it keeps the numbers down. If you want to bring any sort of substantial boards or quiver, definitely boat trips required. These plants are part of the family now, and of course the jungle, shot from the rooftop deck/gym, is just out the door. I tried to do some panoramic thing, but it didn’t really work. The views are 360, the rest of the view is a restricted area. I’ve put one photo in especially for you free, I hope that you still recognize the genus, and are reaping its bounty. Essential genus for any surfer.

Yes santalum acuminatum AW, although I did plant some native sandalwood (santalum spicatum) trees as well on my 20 acre block, epic block, right on the point, but I sold that when I came here.

Quandongs really vary regarding fruit, huge variety of fruit, skin textures, colour, taste, flesh thickness, size. Some fruits the flesh clings to the nut, others the nut rattles around, easy to peel. The fruit is extremely nutritious high in vitamin C, some E, and, has minerals, and one of the highest antioxidant measures of any fruit. The nuts were particularly interesting, the CSIRO was finding all sorts of medicinal qualities, which Indigenous Australians understood and utilized, along with the fruit.

A big issue was our culture’s concern with cosmetics, appearances. It didn’t matter so much for making jams, but the food industry wanted perfect half fruits, which had to be achieved manually, and was very labour intensive. Cracking the nuts without cosmetically damaging the kernal was an issue, and to my knowledge was never solved satisfactorily. The CSIRO tried everything and put a lot of effort into trying to use equipment used to get apricot kernels, which are similar texture. The quandong nut is insanely hard though. When I moved to Port Lincoln, I let it go, but, there were some big enterprizes, one particular in Quorn.

Eye opening the business ideals of Beerenburg. Quandongs have a bit bitter, very tart taste, and unfortunately from my point of view were always used in conjunction with tons of sugar. Very interesting times, and like when picking seeds, it put me in contact with a huge varity of landscapes and plants.

As far as the weeping cherries, I harvested any seeds that I could get from any plant. At that time Eyre Native Seeds was the gun in the field. The owner had huge government contracts, supplied mining globally for revegetation, plus individuals, and sold self germinated tube stock and seedlings. So sometimes plants were required for gardens and landscaping. Those weeping cherries look stunning when healthy, plus you can eat the fruit. They raise several interesting issues. As you no doubt saw AW, at first glance a lot of Eyre Peninsula seems barren, but when you really get into it, there are many stunning plants, that can make for very lush looking but extremely tough, low maintenance, drought tolerant, resource rich gardens.

Another interesting issue is how virtually the same plant quite often has a prostrate form which can even be used as ground covers. There is weeping native cherry, native cherry, but another smaller, prostrate one with virtually identical fruit, that I would find around swampy ground. Likewise I used to come across huge, totally prostrate, ground cover forms of parrot bush, templetonia retusa, same leaves, same flowers, just spreading out for large distances across the ground.

Then there is the remarkable ways that leaves, foliage fit in to the environment. Those fleshy, spiky kind of leaves to conserve and hold water, and that funnel water, dew, perfectly down to the base of the plant and so roots. The foliage of coastal beard heath, leucopogon parviflorus, are epic for that too.

I’ll eventually get to the many other harvesting methods AW. Collecting the primed capsules launching into space.

The ocean is calling.

Bud1. Thanks for your reply. When you said you were checking out the ocean, i had these visions of you heading to Sheringa, Elliston. Kiana , Coffins or even up to Streaky .
I will reply in full tomorrow, be careful, identifying plants even in a house could lead to exposing where you live. You’ve given me an approximate latitude, I will get my fine tooth comb and magnifying hand lens out and see how we go. A bit of fun B1, must say I’m a bit jealous as to how close you are to the Indian Ocean. Keep well. AW

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 22 Aug 2023 at 7:33pm

Uplifts moved to SE Asia not Indo though wrong power points, assume Philippines.

Plants are Costus sp i think Costus speciosus but im rusty, Codiaeum sp (Crotons), palm looks like a small golden cane although quite green which is rare when in a pot unless well watered and not to much sun.

A few are Aglaonema sp

Some Heliconia sp and another Costus sp

Zanzibar Zamifolia .

Dieffenbachia seguine

A few not sure of, hard to tell what Heliconias sp they are at that size especially grown inside probably H. psittacorum varieties or H. rostrata

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Tuesday, 22 Aug 2023 at 7:51pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

Uplifts moved to SE Asia not Indo though wrong power points, assume Philippines.

Plants are Costus sp i think Costus speciosus but im rusty, Codiaeum sp (Crotons), palm looks like a small golden cane although quite green which is rare when in a pot unless well watered and not to much sun.

A few are Aglaonema sp

Some Heliconia sp and another Costus sp

Zanzibar Zamifolia .

Dieffenbachia seguine

A few not sure of, hard to tell what Heliconias sp they are at that size especially grown inside probably H. psittacorum varieties or H. rostrata

Indo Hi. You’ve a keen eye, I looked at the power point also., missed that entirely. Correct with those ids,
Zanzibar Gem is Zamioculcas zamiifolia., I didn’t identify the Costus sp, new to me, all the others are familiar.
I expanded a photo and could see how close he is to the water.. i wonder if he’s near Siargo (Phillipines) or even much further south in Morotai near Maluku (Indonesia) the next big thing for surfing in remote places. Boats from Mentawai have already been scoping it out for the great waves that break in the Northern Hemisphere winter.
Hows your day been ? AW

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 22 Aug 2023 at 8:06pm

Spiral ginger? Have heaps in my yard. Google says Costus barbatus.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 22 Aug 2023 at 8:10pm

Yeah, I thought a type of ginger, maybe a variety of turmeric?

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 22 Aug 2023 at 8:14pm

Not sure if they are true gingers. That type I have, as above, gets edible yellow parts of the flowers. You can put a cut stem in the ground and it will grow a root bulb.

Bud1's picture
Bud1's picture
Bud1 Tuesday, 22 Aug 2023 at 10:30pm

4-EF56224-DFC8-4-A3-D-A481-E053-D1-AFE09-D
FDB65165-E4-D6-45-DB-A49-B-DE629-C65-EEDF

Yes AW, i-d is more than famous for his sharp eyes! Especially down at the Dandy Markets! Not my cup of tea, in fact I don’t know anyone who’s cup of tea that is.

I’ll say this AW, I was one of the first people to boat out to West Java. A Hawaiian mate got a map off Lopez, who had done a mission there with Don King. It was radical stuff, we nearly sank on the way back from surfing one day, had to get the boat into a little cove in the middle of no where. Beat up truck trying to cross a huge river on a sinking punt. I’ve been surfing longer than lots of people on here have been alive, so I’ve got mates and contacts all over the shop, Ments, even fucking Phillip Island. Mates from there who worked in St Kilda used to visit me in Elliston years ago! People from all over the shop used to come to Blax.

Free! WTF! How could you have missed it! Hyperextensis Backstasi Maximitus! And what a mission getting that here, in fact everything here! I’ve got my deluxe gym here, like I said, how much do you want it, how much is your health, fitness and longevity worth to you? I’m in deluxe shape, and loving it! I can’t believe that you missed it! I had to wade across mud, then water, waist deep with that bench over my head. From truck to truck. We had to shift everything like that. Then get that truck on the boat. Ahh yes, the boat. But here I am!

Those pictures remind me of breaking the ranks of the Elliston Council. Thats called ‘Millionaire’s Mile’, the baron’s zone. Hahaha, so much fun! They fucked up, I had the only deck. I got all the info from my mates in the government. Once you removed it no rebuilding, but you could renovate what was there. They totally demolished theirs then got slapped with no more building. Plus even worse I had a fucking easement through two of the their properties! Deluxe! My deck came up beautifully. It was hilarious, they couldn’t believe a ‘surf bumb from Elliston’ was sitting on the thing before their squintin’ sharp eyes! I’d made heaps of money share trading, thats why that bitcoin bullshit was so funny! Stupidly funny! At first they were squwarkin’ up a storm at me, German, Italian, Croatian, Ozzie, hahaha, classic. No problemo!

I’d just stand on the deck, rip the singlet off, and open the big, strong, pumped, welcoming guns to em!
‘Come on boyz, ya pudgy little fuckers, I’m just about to do another workout… come on down boyz, anytime, ya always welcome.’ Hahaha, they just turned around tucked their tails between their legs and bolted, squwarking their fuckin heads of. And even worse I was married to a baron’s daughter, and not from the mother country!

Aaaaaajjjjmmeee!!! Whhhhyyy God, whhhhyyyy… aaajjjmee!!!!!

‘Honey, leave them alone!’

‘Hahaha, they’re alright, I’m just funnin’ with pudgy little fuckers!’

As far as plant conditions, their health, I’ve always loved plants and gardens. They sense it. When I bought that house above in Lincoln, even mates who were landscapers freaked. The back yard was a couple of metres high weed jungle. But I saw the potential, and that the plants were fighting for their life still. That lawn is just straight kikuya, took the whole thing back to bare dirt except for the garden beds. Carefully chosen mulch. Carefull pruning. They wanna live. Then I prepared it, the lawn bed, gotta hold water, down deep. Then aerated it. Up it came with the weeds. Just like workouts. No chemicals. Pull out 30 weeds a day, more if you miss days. Soon, no weeds. Years of seeds in the ground though. Lawn powering. Mow it every few days, get a really good hand mower, keep the blades sharp. No thatching, keep it low, and let it get thick. Easy to spot the weeds, pull them out, plus they don’t get to seed, eliminate em easily. No problem. Before you know it you have a natural weed mat. Lawns are bamboo, feed em, they eat voraciously. Bingo, mega lawn! Mega garden, kid’s paradise.

Eyre Peninsula, I meant to bring up pea flowers, AW, they are so useful in many situations and stunning flowers.

Free’s probably out on the hyperextension bench as I speak, say see ya to him for me AW.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 8:16am
Bud1 wrote:

4-EF56224-DFC8-4-A3-D-A481-E053-D1-AFE09-D
FDB65165-E4-D6-45-DB-A49-B-DE629-C65-EEDF

Yes AW, i-d is more than famous for his sharp eyes! Especially down at the Dandy Markets! Not my cup of tea, in fact I don’t know anyone who’s cup of tea that is.

I’ll say this AW, I was one of the first people to boat out to West Java. A Hawaiian mate got a map off Lopez, who had done a mission there with Don King. It was radical stuff, we nearly sank on the way back from surfing one day, had to get the boat into a little cove in the middle of no where. Beat up truck trying to cross a huge river on a sinking punt. I’ve been surfing longer than lots of people on here have been alive, so I’ve got mates and contacts all over the shop, Ments, even fucking Phillip Island. Mates from there who worked in St Kilda used to visit me in Elliston years ago! People from all over the shop used to come to Blax.

Free! WTF! How could you have missed it! Hyperextensis Backstasi Maximitus! And what a mission getting that here, in fact everything here! I’ve got my deluxe gym here, like I said, how much do you want it, how much is your health, fitness and longevity worth to you? I’m in deluxe shape, and loving it! I can’t believe that you missed it! I had to wade across mud, then water, waist deep with that bench over my head. From truck to truck. We had to shift everything like that. Then get that truck on the boat. Ahh yes, the boat. But here I am!

Those pictures remind me of breaking the ranks of the Elliston Council. Thats called ‘Millionaire’s Mile’, the baron’s zone. Hahaha, so much fun! They fucked up, I had the only deck. I got all the info from my mates in the government. Once you removed it no rebuilding, but you could renovate what was there. They totally demolished theirs then got slapped with no more building. Plus even worse I had a fucking easement through two of the their properties! Deluxe! My deck came up beautifully. It was hilarious, they couldn’t believe a ‘surf bumb from Elliston’ was sitting on the thing before their squintin’ sharp eyes! I’d made heaps of money share trading, thats why that bitcoin bullshit was so funny! Stupidly funny! At first they were squwarkin’ up a storm at me, German, Italian, Croatian, Ozzie, hahaha, classic. No problemo!

I’d just stand on the deck, rip the singlet off, and open the big, strong, pumped, welcoming guns to em!
‘Come on boyz, ya pudgy little fuckers, I’m just about to do another workout… come on down boyz, anytime, ya always welcome.’ Hahaha, they just turned around tucked their tails between their legs and bolted, squwarking their fuckin heads of. And even worse I was married to a baron’s daughter, and not from the mother country!

Aaaaaajjjjmmeee!!! Whhhhyyy God, whhhhyyyy… aaajjjmee!!!!!

‘Honey, leave them alone!’

‘Hahaha, they’re alright, I’m just funnin’ with pudgy little fuckers!’

As far as plant conditions, their health, I’ve always loved plants and gardens. They sense it. When I bought that house above in Lincoln, even mates who were landscapers freaked. The back yard was a couple of metres high weed jungle. But I saw the potential, and that the plants were fighting for their life still. That lawn is just straight kikuya, took the whole thing back to bare dirt except for the garden beds. Carefully chosen mulch. Carefull pruning. They wanna live. Then I prepared it, the lawn bed, gotta hold water, down deep. Then aerated it. Up it came with the weeds. Just like workouts. No chemicals. Pull out 30 weeds a day, more if you miss days. Soon, no weeds. Years of seeds in the ground though. Lawn powering. Mow it every few days, get a really good hand mower, keep the blades sharp. No thatching, keep it low, and let it get thick. Easy to spot the weeds, pull them out, plus they don’t get to seed, eliminate em easily. No problem. Before you know it you have a natural weed mat. Lawns are bamboo, feed em, they eat voraciously. Bingo, mega lawn! Mega garden, kid’s paradise.

Eyre Peninsula, I meant to bring up pea flowers, AW, they are so useful in many situations and stunning flowers.

Free’s probably out on the hyperextension bench as I speak, say see ya to him for me AW.

Bud1. Wow!!. I’ve nothing to add your honour. Except I could start a thread about Fabaceae and pea flowers but I’m exhausted after reading all that.

I think I need a Bex and a lie down . Hmm, you have me interested.. What was Indo up to at the Dandy Market ? .AW

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 8:28am

Today’s WOTD, those guys may be talking about the waves, then again they could also be talking, in disbelief, about what @info was thinking at dandy markets!

Bud1's picture
Bud1's picture
Bud1 Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 9:11am

‘I think I need a Bex and a lie down . Hmm, you have me interested.. What was Indo up to at the Dandy Market ? .AW’’

Well, as you asked AW, and while you are ‘lying down’, having an intense out of body experience, here perhaps transport yourself down, deep, deep, deep, deep down, yyyyeeesss, go dddeeeepppeeerrr, wwwaaayyy ddddoooowwwnnn, to the Dandy Markets… There we go just relaxxxxxeee… you are getting sleeeepppyyy… deeeeeeppppeeee…

Juuuussstt reeeelaxxxee, you are at the Ddaaannndyy Mmmaaarrrkkkettts. Go dddeeeepppperrr… Now, look around, you are with your wife, but you feel as if something isn't quite right… rrreeelllaaaaxxeee, go there what do you….’

‘Aaaaaaarrggghhh I feel… I aaaaarrrghhh somebody is… somebody… something’s not right… my wife… wait… OMG SHE’S BEEN…

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!’

‘Wake up, wake up, wake up AW!!! Its just the dream… OMG, OMG… AW! OMG AW can’t wake up… its a fucking nightmare!!!!’

‘'BTW. i saw a women at the market in Dandenong the other day with a burqua or maybe it was a Niqab it was kind of in-between couldn't see her face though, i was waiting for my missus so did a bit of people watching with her, to be honest she didn't look oppressed like the full black robe ones I've seen in Indonesia that look like servants of the men, actually looked the opposite in this case she had her little middle eastern guy following her around and from the body language she looked like she was wearing the pants so to speak.

It was quite crowded and was thinking maybe i will accidentally go bump into her and say sorry etc and see if she will interact with me and see the reaction of her husband, but by that time my missus had finished.'

https://www.swellnet.com/forums/politico/307178?page=63

Shit wait a minute AW, before you go to the Dandy Markets, you aren’t Indigenous Australian are you? And are you sure, I mean you aren’t one of the ‘jokes’ are you?

'I dont agree Floyd I'm sure there is many many many true indigenous people that feel as i do and think it's a joke that some white fella thinks he is indigenous because their great great grandmother was indigenous, id sure feel that way if i was a true indigenous person’

'I can't believe nobody came up with the old line.

"It doesn't matter how much milk you put in coffee it's still coffee"

Which well is not true at some point it just becomes coffee flavour milk.'

https://www.swellnet.com/forums/politico/352734?page=1

Shit hang on, and you aren’t Julian Assange are you… I mean, you never know who’s who around here… well… sort of… anyway… the ocean is calling… again! Its more deluxeness!

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 9:29am

A great plant from all states, except N.T. A plant with missed opportunities for industry.AW

IMG-0504
how do i get https

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 9:34am

Quality right there Bud1.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 9:57am

Ah come on, lets just stick to the plants. This other stuff has been done to death elsewhere. I have been enjoying the general positivity here.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 10:28am

Afternoon sunlight looking like a studio shot. Common but pretty.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 10:29am
blackers wrote:

Ah come on, lets just stick to the plants. This other stuff has been done to death elsewhere. I have been enjoying the general positivity here.

Blackers. Hi. 2nd that. We’ve been derailed somewhat, not unpleasant. But, time to move on to the core subject of this thread. AW

Bud1's picture
Bud1's picture
Bud1 Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 10:33am

Looks like a gazania? One of the African daisies? More controversy that one Blackers!

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 10:34am
blackers wrote:

Blackers. A very sunny petalous morning to you.

Erigeron karsvinskianus ?

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 10:45am
AlfredWallace][quote=blackers wrote:

Finally, I get the chance to say no Alfred, try again! Much more common I think.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 10:45am
Bud1 wrote:

Looks like a gazania? One of the African daisies? More controversy that one Blackers!

If you know the complexities around identifying daisies, florets, ray florets, involucre’s etc. that little flower could never be a Gazania sp. Gazania, wash your mouth out Bud1 , a bigger pest than we realise. AW

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 10:47am
blackers][quote=AlfredWallace wrote:
blackers wrote:

Finally, I get the chance to say no Alfred, try again! Much more common I think.

A Brachyscome sp. ? AW

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 11:05am

Thats the one Alfred. Much more benign. We have the Gazania's everywhere on the foreshore here. I also have some Erigeron floating about somewhere in the garden.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 11:10am
AlfredWallace wrote:
freeride76 wrote:

Freeride76. You are definitely getting back your plant mojo.

Same family, Malvaceae, the mallows, hibiscus etc. You are very very close. Clue- a relative may be the floral emblem of another state and another relative contributes to tee shirts. AW.

Freeride76. Morning.
The plant is Gossypium australe one of the desert roses . It’s got grey/green sage like leaves, helps in separating it from the many other species in OZ.

Sturts Desert Rose N.T. Floral emblem Gossypium sturtianum

Gossypium hirsutum is the introduced plant that produces cotton (Mexico ).

All three species in the Malvaceae family. AW

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 11:13am
blackers wrote:

Thats the one Alfred. Much more benign. We have the Gazania's everywhere on the foreshore here. I also have some Erigeron floating about somewhere in the garden.

Blackers i always carry a mattock in my ute, tired of chipping them out, starting to take a stronghold in Torquay, Anglesea. And to think all from garden escapees. AW

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 11:26am

IMG-1168
all good photos download

I have this growing in my garden. It’s meant to be native but I’ve lost the name tag. I has tiny finger like weak perfumed cream flowers that grow in clusters of 4-5 like an upper side of a hand.

Any clues?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 11:26am

Cheers AW.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 11:34am
AlfredWallace wrote:

From the West

IMG-1762

Nobody at all has had a crack at this one. I’d have thought many would have it in their bird gardens even though its from the West of OZ. AW

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 11:41am
GuySmiley wrote:

IMG-1168
all good photos download

I have this growing in my garden. It’s meant to be native but I’ve lost the name tag. I has tiny finger like weak perfumed cream flowers that grow in clusters of 4-5 like an upper side of a hand.

Any clues?

GuySmiley. Hi mate. Im visually a bit confused. Is it the little plant in the foreground with white flowers or is the plant everything we can see including that green foliage ? .Thanks. AW

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 11:55am

GuySmiley. If it’s the plant in the foreground with flowers, the sunlight is inhibiting its identification, maybe a photo up close of the stem would help. rub the stems and let me know if they are warty and fragrant, if so, the flowers will also be fragrant.
At this stage I’m thinking Philotheca sp. (Eriostemon sp. ) based upon what i cant really see. Thanks .AW

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 12:18pm

Looks like a bottlebrush to me AW (Callistemon sp).

Bud1's picture
Bud1's picture
Bud1 Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 12:29pm

I would but I’ve actually run out of soap AW! Amazing how many flavours (I said flavours, not favours) there are!

I was going to say the same free, but, I don’t really know for sure. I’m waiting for a picture of your hyperextensis backiatis maximimotis though free
?

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 12:31pm
freeride76 wrote:

Looks like a bottlebrush to me AW (Callistemon sp).

Freeride76. Hi mate.

Easily confused with the genus Callistemon, same plant family Myrtaceae and again, this is not for all species in this family but it is for most, ‘showy stamens’ is a key diagnostic feature, think of the first thing you see when the operculum (cap) comes off an Eucalyptus bud, ‘showy stamens’ protruding towards the sky. AW
It’s Kunzea baxteri Scarlet Kunzea, very widely used in the eastern states excluding damp areas. AW

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 12:38pm

Bit all over the shop today, dry plants from the west, now I’m posting this, in context should have done so when we were recently discussing plants in sub tropical and tropical zones.
This is a book you buy once and pass onto children just before you die.
Williams Coopers painting skills are something to behold.AW

IMG-0134

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 12:47pm
AlfredWallace wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:

From the West

IMG-1762

Nobody at all has had a crack at this one. I’d have thought many would have it in their bird gardens even though its from the West of OZ. AW

Kunza??

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 12:47pm
Bud1 wrote:

I would but I’ve actually run out of soap AW! Amazing how many flavours (I said flavours, not favours) there are!

I was going to say the same free, but, I don’t really know for sure. I’m waiting for a picture of your hyperextensis backiatis maximimotis though free
?

Bud1. Lost track of all the brands of soap I had rammed down my mouth as a kid. What was that all about?

Haven’t you got any great photos of a plant/s thats captured your imagination at your current tropical location ?

Barbells and work out stations don’t do it for me or for all the interested plant nerds on this thread. What about a local feathered bird that’s caught your eye., surely you’ve seen them flying around, after all you are on the edge of a forest. You’ve got a phone, give us a couple of snaps. AW

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 12:48pm
AlfredWallace wrote:
GuySmiley wrote:

IMG-1168
all good photos download

Any clues?

GuySmiley. Hi mate. Im visually a bit confused. Is it the little plant in the foreground with white flowers or is the plant everything we can see including that green foliage ? .Thanks. AW

Background plant, foreground is a wax plant

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 12:49pm
GuySmiley wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:

From the West

IMG-1762

Kunza??

GuySmiley. Spot on. Kunzea baxteri. Scarlet Kunzea, bit of a favourite in home native gardens here in the E/SE, pulls birds thats for sure. AW

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 12:51pm
GuySmiley wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:
GuySmiley wrote:

IMG-1168
all good photos download

Any clues?

Foreground plant is Philotheca myoporoides. Wax Flower, NSW.
I better get to work on the background plant. Cheers GS. AW.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 1:07pm
GuySmiley wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:
GuySmiley wrote:

IMG-1168
all good photos download

Any clues?

GuySmiley. Where did you purchase the plant in the background? Thanks.

Looks like Osmanthus fragrans to me, which is from China, Japan and S.E Asia. AW

Bud1's picture
Bud1's picture
Bud1 Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 1:03pm

07378196-922-B-40-A9-A9-C3-4-F6-B41248-B7-E
280-FEE6-D-969-B-4771-B18-E-D567-FE3-A9770

AW, I tried to take some of the sea eagles one day, spiraling in updrafts, but no good. Here’s a couple of deluxe ones out the back though.

No I’d rather just sit in the jungle. Time to go.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 1:08pm

Tarsier?

Bud1's picture
Bud1's picture
Bud1 Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 1:10pm

Yes, so stoked!

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 1:14pm

Was lucky enough to see one on Bohol.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 1:18pm

I cant add anything of substance but this thread is awesome. Loving it.

Nice lawn above Uppity, in addition to all the other pics of the posters.

That little primate is beautiful in an otherworldly way.

Bud1's picture
Bud1's picture
Bud1 Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 1:18pm

Deluxe free! I really do have to go now, have a good one!

Bud1's picture
Bud1's picture
Bud1 Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 1:19pm

Just saw you as I posted Zen, have a good one too.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 1:23pm

Thankyou. Been enjoying your words.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 23 Aug 2023 at 1:31pm
Bud1 wrote:

07378196-922-B-40-A9-A9-C3-4-F6-B41248-B7-E
280-FEE6-D-969-B-4771-B18-E-D567-FE3-A9770

AW, I tried to take some of the sea eagles one day, spiraling in updrafts, but no good. Here’s a couple of deluxe ones out the back though.

No I’d rather just sit in the jungle. Time to go.

Bud1. Nice photo of a Tarsier, so , you must be east of The Wallace Line but west of Lydekkers Line, I’ve a fair idea where you are. Enjoy. AW