NICARAGUA

seaslug's picture
seaslug started the topic in Thursday, 18 Jan 2024 at 11:27pm

Anyone surfed/stayed at/near Panga Drops, Playa Colorado ?

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Friday, 19 Jan 2024 at 9:45am

Bump

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Saturday, 20 Jan 2024 at 11:27am

posting again :)

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 20 Jan 2024 at 12:07pm

Never been slug but those beachies look absolutely incredible.
The ultimate surf trip to score “fun” waves as opposed to an Indo sketchy shallow reef set up

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Saturday, 20 Jan 2024 at 12:27pm

Don't they, never been to Mexico/Central America, thought a couple of weeks there in July before it's too late one way or another. Not going to be cheap trip but nowhere is these days.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 20 Jan 2024 at 12:30pm

Cheap once you’re there?

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Saturday, 20 Jan 2024 at 1:29pm

Significantly cheaper than Costa Rica now I hear but if you just want to fly in and stay out the front of some waves, you will be paying $$, gated communities and the such

juegasiempre's picture
juegasiempre's picture
juegasiempre Saturday, 20 Jan 2024 at 2:34pm

I've never been surfing there but I've researched it. Could never convince the missus to live there because it's pretty fucking poor. I did 8 months last year in El Salvador and I'd recommend that due to the consistency and ease, especially if you don't speak Spanish. Also, you'd have to go to Nicaragua ignorant because you'd be supporting a pretty terrible dictator.

That said, you can stay South in gigante and walk to Colorado if you want to do it cheap because yes, is in a gated community. I'd probably choose Santana in popoyo or the boom up north depending on what you want, both can be done for cheap. It looks crowded on videos these days but the standard of travelling surfers in central America is pretty low (yanks).

I'd recommend Mexico as there's a few places that has out of season beachies that are way better, or in season if you like 20ft barrels. Good point breaks and generally a higher standard of living.

Go do it! I'm already jealous.

Oh North has offshores in the morning, South has all day offshores. But surfing anytime from 9-4 is brutally hot, worse than Indo.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Saturday, 20 Jan 2024 at 3:52pm

Cheers JS, yes it's firking hot hot that's a worry. Was only planning on going for 2 to 3 weeks in July, stay on beach at Panga Drops $$$

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Saturday, 20 Jan 2024 at 4:05pm

Poorer than El Salvador?

juegasiempre's picture
juegasiempre's picture
juegasiempre Saturday, 20 Jan 2024 at 5:18pm
seaslug wrote:

Poorer than El Salvador?

Yeah, way poorer. More rural. For some reason there's also lots more English spoken in Mexico/Guatemala/El Salvador.

Another thing to note, with the AUD not that strong it's a bad value destination unless you know your way around, same with CR and El Salvador to a lesser extent. But in July, if money wasn't an issue I'd go to Salina Cruz in Mexico, a local surf camp in El Salvador to take you to all the breaks in the area or somewhere in Peru for something cheap, colder, myriad left handers but harder to navigate without Spanish and crappier scenery/weather. It really depends on what you're chasing because all those places are remarkably consistent.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Saturday, 20 Jan 2024 at 5:32pm

Ok thanks JS, money not really an issue, well you know within reason, just turned 60 so I'm not after +20ft beaches or slabs. Maybe I'll revisit El Salvador or Mexico. TBH Punta Roca is not what I'm after, it looks average for a so called A class wave, I' sure it does have its day. Just wanted somewhere nice and easy to stay with waves out front or close by, hence Panga Drops.

Wye oh wye's picture
Wye oh wye's picture
Wye oh wye Sunday, 21 Jan 2024 at 11:42am

Surfed Playa Colorado in June 2012 and it was great - all day offshores with fun sized waves most days. Got really good, barreling and heavy (saw 4 snapped boards in one morning) on the one day when the swell got above 4 foot. Not sure how common that is but if you were in front of Panga Drops you would have options. I walked in from Playa Gigante and it was a long hot walk - definitely recommend staying closer if you can. Didn't find it too hot in the water in the middle of the day (less so than the Banyaks, for example). But as above, lots of other good options in the region!

Jamyardy's picture
Jamyardy's picture
Jamyardy Sunday, 21 Jan 2024 at 5:10pm

Surfed Playa Colorado about 20yrs ago now. Great quality beach, and powerful, it was always empty too. Panga drops looks like it might have its days, super long set up. Never seen anyone surf it. Plenty of other waves in the region too. I scored better waves in Nica than El Salvador, and many more sessions due to the all day offshores. They tell
Me it’s pretty busy, now, but it’s probably the same anywhere in Central America for surfing.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Tuesday, 23 Jan 2024 at 6:05pm

Thanks guys