Maldives Surf Charters/Camps

seaslug's picture
seaslug started the topic in Wednesday, 31 Jan 2024 at 12:59pm

Looking for suggestions in September for Maldives surf charters in Central atolls or camp in northern atolls. Only been once maybe 15 years ago to Pasta point.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Wednesday, 31 Jan 2024 at 1:10pm

Jimmy Spitt's picture
Jimmy Spitt's picture
Jimmy Spitt Thursday, 1 Feb 2024 at 2:26pm

No help here Seaslug, but looking for boat too and a legendary guide I remember seeing in a mag once. If anyone can recommend a boat in the south /cental atolls it would be much appreciated.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Thursday, 1 Feb 2024 at 3:13pm

Cheers Jimmy, world safaris will be able to recommend a boat

ringostarr's picture
ringostarr's picture
ringostarr Thursday, 1 Feb 2024 at 4:13pm

I can't help either Seaslug. But on the subject of the Maldives, having been to Pasta but not Lohi's I've been curious for a long time on how the 2 waves compare. Has anyone surfed both and willing to share their thoughts? And to take the topic further, thoughts on the nearby waves and how they compare as a group (wave quality, consistency and crowd). Sultans/Honkys/Jails vs Cokes/Chickens

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Thursday, 1 Feb 2024 at 4:33pm

I’ve been to the centrals a couple of times, we used Brian James as our guide through the Perfect Wave. Sick trip if you score. Brian now has Cokes Surf Camp in the North (Cokes, Chickens). Not sure if he’s still affiliated with perfect wave. Or there’s Louis from liquid destination who also does the centrals, bit of a pirate I think ( in a good ish way)but knows the area well. Crew I’ve been with went again with perfect wave and had an epic trip last year.

For everyone else….. it’s shit. Don’t go there.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 1 Feb 2024 at 5:29pm

SS, I've been keeping quiet on this but my bro and I are booked and going to Southern Atolls mid-September. We are on a boat called the 'Maavahi'.

I don't really know much about it, hope it's nice (would wanna be for the price) and as we're just tacking on haven't got any idea about the other punters too. It's a bit of a wait and see.

I believe September should be ok for swell, winds may be iffy? I just hope we get some nice waves.

My darling bought me the ticket- took advantage of the SIA sale too and redeemed some miles.

See you there. Keep an eye out for me.

Ps- we booked through Richard at The Perfect Wave, he's excellent and a really good communicator. I rate him.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Thursday, 1 Feb 2024 at 5:38pm

Hey Zen,
I might know your guide possibly, could be a guy called Bob Fawcett if it’s with the perfect wave. I did a charter with him when he was a paying guest. Top bloke! Not sure if he’s still doing it. Some of the set ups down there look sick. Crystal clear water sick fishing and perfect waves. Hope you score.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Thursday, 1 Feb 2024 at 5:40pm

Hi all, I was messing around with a wad of KrisFlyer miles. Anyway booked a changeable return ticket to Singapore in September so that got rid of the expiring miles. Now thinking of the southern atolls trip in April whilst the pro circus is in town (Zen swell yes but winds might be iffy as you say). Emailed both Perfect Wave and World Wide Safaris. Looking at Ayada, have to mortgage my left testicle.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 1 Feb 2024 at 5:51pm

Hi Soggy, not sure what's in store and this will be my first ever surf charter so better late than never.

Hope it is bob by the sounds but doesn't matter whoever, I'm just looking forward to doing something different and hopefully me and my bro get some tube time.

SS, hope we cross paths. 19th till 28th Sept.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Thursday, 1 Feb 2024 at 5:56pm

That would be fantastic Zen, I'll let you know my plans.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 2 Feb 2024 at 2:51pm
zenagain wrote:

Hi Soggy, not sure what's in store and this will be my first ever surf charter so better late than never.

Hope it is bob by the sounds but doesn't matter whoever, I'm just looking forward to doing something different and hopefully me and my bro get some tube time.

SS, hope we cross paths. 19th till 28th Sept.

@Seaslug, @Zen. Hi guys, you’ll get waves and swell. I’ve been twice, both in April, once in 2000 and 2007, plenty of swell throughout the chain. Swell cycles in April ran from 8-9ft on the first day in 2000, each day it dropped 1ft and bottomed out after day 7, then the slow build occurs and the reverse happens.

Don’t be put off by hubris, just go, ‘Wave will come’ as The Big Duke once said.

Enjoy.AW

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Friday, 2 Feb 2024 at 4:44pm

Thanks AW, seriously considering Ayada early to mid April

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 2 Feb 2024 at 5:42pm

I was looking at Huduranfushi resort so I could go with my wife but she's not interested and hates sand and saltwater. I quite liked the idea of having exclusive access to Lohis. So, that's why my bro stepped up and we're going on a boat now.

Hope September delivers.

Cheers AW.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Friday, 2 Feb 2024 at 6:04pm

just think 3 times before lending your bro a board, with a limited travel-quiver @zen ; )

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Friday, 2 Feb 2024 at 6:48pm

Indeed basesix, 2 only, max lenght 7'

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Friday, 2 Feb 2024 at 9:14pm

Central Atolls Sept could still have some dodgy winds. But you are going late Sept so that might help particularly towards the end of your trip. Just don’t expect clean glassy conditions that time of year down there.

asharper001's picture
asharper001's picture
asharper001 Friday, 2 Feb 2024 at 11:38pm

Zen, check your dates again, ya tripper. 9th to 18th, not 19th to 28th.

Basesix, we're one all in the board stakes. I snapped one of his at Kirra and Zen rode one of mine onto the rocks up the Sunny Coast. That was over 30 years ago. We've played nicely since.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Saturday, 3 Feb 2024 at 12:29am

haha, the byrning spears at kirra? that's the only one? this may deserve it's own thread..
kidding, the bond is clearly strong with youse ones:
"Yeah, he's amazing. Holds on to his own boards for years, picks up one of mine and it explodes in his hands.
Nah, he's a good lad, good surfer and in the brotherly stakes I probably owe him."
please do a thread on the trip!

asharper001's picture
asharper001's picture
asharper001 Saturday, 3 Feb 2024 at 12:47am

Yep Basesix, that's the one (the only one). Was a cracking board (no pun intended). I believe it had a bit of history to it too. I was led to believe that it may have been the one ridden by Kong in this Piping Hot ad https://cronullasurfmuseum.com.au/80s/kong-shark-island/ or Zen could have been borrowing my leggy, lol.

In a strange link, the one Zen put on the rocks and completely disintegrated the nose was an old Hotstuff previously owned by Rabbit (again I was led to believe). Was also a cracking board. Best paddler I ever owned.

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Saturday, 3 Feb 2024 at 8:37am
zenagain wrote:

SS, I've been keeping quiet on this but my bro and I are booked and going to Southern Atolls mid-September. We are on a boat called the 'Maavahi'.

I don't really know much about it, hope it's nice (would wanna be for the price) and as we're just tacking on haven't got any idea about the other punters too. It's a bit of a wait and see.

I believe September should be ok for swell, winds may be iffy? I just hope we get some nice waves.

My darling bought me the ticket- took advantage of the SIA sale too and redeemed some miles.

See you there. Keep an eye out for me.

Ps- we booked through Richard at The Perfect Wave, he's excellent and a really good communicator. I rate him.

Did the southern atolls in March with Atoll Travel, best March/April with light winds. Went on my own, there was 2 yanks and a Brazilian who didn't even surf, and the yanks weren't that interested either so was just me and the surf guide from pasta point surfing. Only saw 1 other boat in 11 days and didn't surf with them, so had every break with just us.
Good times.

The year before that trip had 2 weeks in July at Pasta Point, was 3-6ft for 2 weeks, first arvo I got there surfed pumping 4-6ft Jails for 4 hours with 4 guys, soooo good.

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Saturday, 3 Feb 2024 at 10:07am
seaslug wrote:

Hi all, I was messing around with a wad of KrisFlyer miles. Anyway booked a changeable return ticket to Singapore in September so that got rid of the expiring miles. Now thinking of the southern atolls trip in April whilst the pro circus is in town (Zen swell yes but winds might be iffy as you say). Emailed both Perfect Wave and World Wide Safaris. Looking at Ayada, have to mortgage my left testicle.

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/829314

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Saturday, 3 Feb 2024 at 5:14pm

cheers ashram