Hand planes

stunet's picture
stunet started the topic in Thursday, 15 Feb 2024 at 7:27am

Fella down my way runs Ecto Handplanes and he's having a warehouse clean out. Grab yourself a bargain.

Got myself a metal and a plastic plane, both ride unreal.

Selling quick...

https://ectohandplanes.com/collections/workshop-clearance-sale?page=1

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 15 Feb 2024 at 7:27am

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Thursday, 15 Feb 2024 at 6:14pm

I bought a few planes for when the kids and I go on beach hikes, great deals, cheers.
(took checking in all day for the site to eventually let me in, hopefully cos he's getting a lot of traffic)

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 15 Feb 2024 at 6:55pm

Unreal. I've been using a new plastic one from him the last week. Splitting time on the beach and a beefy little rock ledge. This afternoon while the kids were doing clubbie training I used one of his metal ones for the first time. Not sure about it, think I prefer the thickness and area of the plastic one.

Hadn't used planes in ages, thought they were too much for my shoulders, but these are smaller area than my last one so I've been enjoying it.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Thursday, 15 Feb 2024 at 9:28pm

great you're enjoying, I mucked around with one on a camping trip once where there were more people than boards. Looking forward to some weird fun with portability factor - we're a 10km bike ride from the beach and love 3-day coast hikes.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Monday, 19 Feb 2024 at 6:04am

Handplanes are the best. My local beachie is a bit fickle so handplane gives another option. Awesome for fitness and i find it gives the full range of motion when swimming which is good for the shoulders.

Mentioned it in another thread, but been having a blast making handplanes with the groms out of 12mm marine ply.

Fraser G's picture
Fraser G's picture
Fraser G Monday, 19 Feb 2024 at 10:54am

Hydro Ray Gill handplanes are unreal to use... no load while swimming super deep concave small and compact.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 19 Feb 2024 at 11:11am
Fraser G wrote:

Hydro Ray Gill handplanes are unreal to use... no load while swimming super deep concave small and compact.

They look good, and also not unlike the metal Ecto handplane. Wasn't sure about it at first, was used to handplanes with a bigger surface area, but I'm really enjoying it now. Much freer to swim under waves or make sudden adjustments. Like those hydros it's got bulk concave, maybe half an inch, and the outline is not much bigger than your hand. Made from 1mm thick metal.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 19 Feb 2024 at 11:39am

Have had a pod one for many years, first wave was a barrel, out of it, into another barrel, out of that too, into the closeout barrel. Really should use it more these days.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Monday, 19 Feb 2024 at 1:07pm

Which one should I get (out of the Ecto metal range), it all looks the same to me. V2 is I guess an upgrade on V1?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 19 Feb 2024 at 1:36pm

I'm not too sure on the differences, Flollo. Not even sure it's an upgrade, just a different shape.

After using a big hand plane for years I wasn't sure about the worth of a small one, but it's working really well.