Innovative materials

LeoGiacomelli's picture
LeoGiacomelli started the topic in Friday, 16 Feb 2024 at 12:02am

Hello everyone, I would like to start a thread about innovative materials for surfing equipment (boards, wetsuits,accessories, etc) if you are knowledgable about new materials or alternatives that may be in research/development stages I would love to learn more. Maybe, you have seen a new article and would like to share, anything is welcome. I also have a survey I am completing as part of my University degree surrounding this topic. Please find the link below!
https://forms.office.com/e/QhxyXf2taA

poo-man's picture
poo-man's picture
poo-man Friday, 16 Feb 2024 at 7:10pm

There's a guy at Papamoa in NZ who has made boards glassed out of wool and resin. Wool light I think and he's been working on all sorts of new tech. Paul Barron is his name and he invented the flex bar tech for Channel Islands as well. Very clever ideas

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 16 Feb 2024 at 7:19pm

Firewire were sniffing around Woolight for a while, may have even released a model or two with it? Would love to know how it goes in the sanding.

Seems FW have switched their interest to Colan's basalt weave, especially now they've introduced a basalt/recycled PET weave. Lessens the heavy brown appearance, better for sanding, diverts rubbish from landfill.

It's not exactly new but I'd say Yulex is really beginning to flex its muscle as a legit neoprene alternative. Not sure why brands would hold out from using it. Can only think it's pride that Patagonia developed it, though they freely share the tech with anyone.

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Friday, 16 Feb 2024 at 8:04pm

Just saw this post on Facebook that might interest you.
Fella reckons he's got a fin design concept that will accelerate a board through it's turns 3 times faster and is looking for someone to help develop the prototype.
Whether it's true or not, gotta love an innovative mind.
Good thread btw!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/99148475798/permalink/10161783959650799/

poo-man's picture
poo-man's picture
poo-man Friday, 16 Feb 2024 at 9:00pm
stunet wrote:

Firewire were sniffing around Woolight for a while, may have even released a model or two with it? Would love to know how it goes in the sanding.

Seems FW have switched their interest to Colan's basalt weave, especially now they've introduced a basalt/recycled PET weave. Lessens the heavy brown appearance, better for sanding, diverts rubbish from landfill.

It's not exactly new but I'd say Yulex is really beginning to flex its muscle as a legit neoprene alternative. Not sure why brands would hold out from using it. Can only think it's pride that Patagonia developed it, though they freely share the tech with anyone.

Yep it was Paul that developed it for Firewire. I've got a twinny in it but actually haven't ridden it yet

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 17 Feb 2024 at 5:32am
southernraw wrote:

Just saw this post on Facebook that might interest you.
Fella reckons he's got a fin design concept that will accelerate a board through it's turns 3 times faster and is looking for someone to help develop the prototype.
Whether it's true or not, gotta love an innovative mind.
Good thread btw!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/99148475798/permalink/10161783959650799/

Nigerian fin co ...

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Sunday, 18 Feb 2024 at 4:21pm

Anyone remember shadow fins?…They had the centres cut out so in a straight line they were pretty much the same but would allow you to drift in a turn due to the centres being cut out in a fin shape. My friend Nuck from the entrance frothed on them but I thought they looked sus. Gday Nuck if your reading this.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 18 Feb 2024 at 4:43pm

I remember Fins like that Late 70s...Not sure of there Name
Oskar ...An Old Mate from Mt Gravatt used to use them... Yep Drift Turns...Back when Greenmount was called Powder Puff Point.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 18 Feb 2024 at 5:44pm

There is a rare substance that when applied will make your boards 4x faster, but to acquire it you will have to dive into a pod of breeding dolphins and somehow bottle it.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Sunday, 18 Feb 2024 at 6:12pm

Udo…yep shadow fins they were called……..my go to fins on my boards in the late 80’s and for a while in the 90’s were track tite fins from haymans sunny coast I think.
They were a lot like AB fins with nice rake and pointy tips. They had a stick on flat base like that other newer brand…power base or something….you only needed a smear of glass and a couple of glass patches to stick em onto your new board. They snapped off clean too …no damage so better than normal glass ons and FCS etc.
I loved em…I rode most boards with the small ones as there were 2 or 3 sizes.
Al B liked little pointy fins too ….they didn’t feel weird on bigger wave bottom turns…they had a lower pressure at the tips…
You could draw out your turn without getting funky…not too projecty back to the lip….projecty…there’s a new word from the Opto.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 18 Feb 2024 at 6:49pm

Oskars may have been Homemade Fin was in Single Fin Days.