Cook Islands surf

etarip's picture
etarip started the topic in Monday, 19 Feb 2024 at 6:08am

Got a trip booked in to head to the Cook Islands with the family in a couple of months. Staying with (non-surfing) friends.

Planning to take a couple of shortboards. Anyone been / got advice on surfing there? Heard it’s shallow. Our friends said there’s only bodyboarding there.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Monday, 19 Feb 2024 at 6:08am

Appreciate any advice / experience.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Monday, 19 Feb 2024 at 7:43am
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Monday, 19 Feb 2024 at 9:50am

Hi etarip - Ive been to Rarotonga and yes its super shallow but there are some reef passes like Rutaki passage and the pass next to it (sorry forgot the name) that are surfable. High tide only tho and still probably better suited to a boogie board but def do-able. Hire a motorbike - not much traffic. Wave access is pretty easy

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Monday, 19 Feb 2024 at 6:02pm

Thanks SS and MMM.
Looks like there’s some decent options. I’ll be packing the reef booties and some hydrogen peroxide.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Monday, 19 Feb 2024 at 8:42pm
seaslug wrote:

https://rainbow-villas.com/surfingpost/

“Rutaki passage is the perfect playground for both advanced surfers and beginners.”

Ha, yeh right!

Itsmemickyb's picture
Itsmemickyb's picture
Itsmemickyb Tuesday, 20 Feb 2024 at 12:09am

the boogie wave is surfable if your good on take offs but yes wear booties, there was another righthander with a pilon in the channel that looked good and surfable too, about 400m out, wont be too hard to find, saw another guy surfing somewhere on other side was indiscernible peaks didn't bother going out

Itsmemickyb's picture
Itsmemickyb's picture
Itsmemickyb Tuesday, 20 Feb 2024 at 12:14am

worth going fishing early in the trip aswell catch something big and feed everyone for a few days

saurusv1's picture
saurusv1's picture
saurusv1 Tuesday, 20 Feb 2024 at 7:57am

There is a great lefthander breaks off Edgewater resort in the right swell direction, pretty shallow though. Would send photos but not sure how to insert

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Tuesday, 20 Feb 2024 at 8:19am

Thanks for the extra info. Need to get a bit more urgency in my pop-ups then!

Ray Shirlaw's picture
Ray Shirlaw's picture
Ray Shirlaw Tuesday, 20 Feb 2024 at 9:39am

The waves are short..Hire a bodyboard, just think like a kid on a surfmat, &get some Rad toobz

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Tuesday, 20 Feb 2024 at 10:21am
lostdoggy wrote:
seaslug wrote:

https://rainbow-villas.com/surfingpost/

“Rutaki passage is the perfect playground for both advanced surfers and beginners.”

Ha, yeh right!

Agreed LD - def not a playground for beginners

cd's picture
cd's picture
cd Tuesday, 20 Feb 2024 at 7:08pm

Have had great waves there - western side of the island. Was pumping, though the break i surfed was very dependent on swell direction. right in Nth swell left in sth swell. If its on you will see it if you have a bit of a look around- take booties. you will need them if low tide for reef walking and massive urchins.
Also surfed Rutaki passage. nice barrel but exits are onto a going dry big coral head, seemed more suitable to the boogers.- or makesure a high tide. Maybe someone has pu a bit of dynamite init and blown it up by now. Be aware water runs out real hard on those reef passes when tide drops out- so have a plan to get in if lose your board.
Another time i was there was real solid swell but very windy.
Kinda trip where you could score or not get much.
Good luck and enjoy having a bit of a search around.

eel's picture
eel's picture
eel Tuesday, 20 Feb 2024 at 7:48pm

I've been twice about 15-20 years ago when I use to bodyboard. There are plenty of slabs around the island but it is ridiculously shallow and the breaks works at high tide. North swells in summer, south in winter

gasher's picture
gasher's picture
gasher Saturday, 2 Mar 2024 at 3:05pm

Etarip, I've been there half a dozen times with two of those being 6 month stints.
All comments made so far are correct.....
My experience is you could surf everyday of your trip or not even get your board wet. Can be frustrating with wind direction/strength & not that many options for any given swell /wind direction scenario.
Beautiful place, love it to death but yeah, ya gotta spend some time there to get it good but hope you score!