House prices

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Friday, 9 Dec 2016 at 10:27am

House prices - going to go up , down or sideways ?

Opinions and anecdotal stories if you could.

Cheers

juegasiempre's picture
juegasiempre's picture
juegasiempre Tuesday, 23 Jan 2024 at 12:18pm
Sprout wrote:

Not sure if these have been posted...

https://www.afr.com/property/residential/house-prices-on-the-coast-have-...
"House prices in popular coastal towns such as Byron Bay have slumped by as much as $614,000, as higher interest rates make it tougher for sellers to hold on to their holiday homes and for hopeful buyers to qualify for a loan."

----------
This bloke's a bit of a laugh/tool too, scary how shit some new builds are...
https://www.youtube.com/@Siteinspections/videos

Are you sure those figures are right for Portsea and Sorrento? You couldn't pay me to live there. The island is close by, better surf, way more beautiful and heaps cheaper. Fucking still cold though.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Tuesday, 23 Jan 2024 at 12:56pm

^ ha, keep your eye on the portland alcoa smelter. it's gonna close in the near future and displace hundreds of families.. the town will go back to being just a fishing-village/deep-water-port, but surrounded by suburbs of cheap and empty housing, empty shops and the best waves in west vic/se sa,

A chance for surfers/watersporters/enviros to spearhead the re-gentrification of an oz town for the first time in decades ; )

(it'll coincide with retired boomers dropping off the perch, so there'll be a million caravans, motor-homes and 4wds flooding the market too...
..too dark?)

strawbs's picture
strawbs's picture
strawbs Tuesday, 23 Jan 2024 at 6:44pm
basesix wrote:

^ ha, keep your eye on the portland alcoa smelter. it's gonna close in the near future and displace hundreds of families.. the town will go back to being just a fishing-village/deep-water-port, but surrounded by suburbs of cheap and empty housing, empty shops and the best waves in west vic/se sa,

A chance for surfers/watersporters/enviros to spearhead the re-gentrification of an oz town for the first time in decades ; )

(it'll coincide with retired boomers dropping off the perch, so there'll be a million caravans, motor-homes and 4wds flooding the market too...
..too dark?)

Smelter has already had its new power contract signed, it now takes it out to 2035 at a minimum, works already begun on the potlines, its life expectancy could be decades yet .

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 23 Jan 2024 at 7:17pm
strawbs wrote:
basesix wrote:

..too dark?)

Smelter has already had its new power contract signed, it now takes it out to 2035 at a minimum, works already begun on the potlines, its life expectancy could be decades yet .

Yeah thats what i thought as kind of looked into buying there before Covid, kinda wish i had.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Wednesday, 24 Jan 2024 at 12:51pm

Queen's backyard Blitz...
Udo informed the crew of Steph's Byron Surf Shack.
https://beachgrit.com/2023/09/stephanie-gilmore-surfing-surf-byron-bay-b...
tbb stoked up plans for a Byron Sandhills Wavepool in Steph's backyard neighbouring Owen's Pad
Initial Plans clearly feature Large Lagoons on this site!

Scope :
Surf & Flush 21h runoff thru Steph's Thunderbox out thru Clarkes' Whazoo stoking The Pass Line Up.

Sandhills Plan does in involve 2h purpose built Lagoons + Creeks equalling Wave Pool size.
tbb checked & spun most Wavepool designs to fit in many ways...( Passes the Pub Test )
Guess we'll never know if that was considered to filter the Surf Pros 'Recreational Site'.
Only during Dec did more detailed Plans surface...now on show for public comment.

Sandhills Wetland EIS is now on display and tbb is sharing Public Submission Phase.
Importantly this Large site Outflows into The Pass Line Up.

Owen's / Steph's backyard Beachside Site is being remodeled into 3 wetland Lagoons
Lagoons total 1.2H + Connecting Creeks / Brooks...> More so during Wet Season.
Lagoons Depth : Small 300mm Middle 200mm > Largest 100mm
Sure...could filter thru a Wavepool...but who's got the patience to hop about leashing Frog's Legs.

Gilmore Skate Park Wetlands at The Pass
31st Jan 2024 : 4-6pm Drop In @ Marvel Hall Pop Up for Q&A (No registration)
19th Feb 2024 Close of Submissions
Mid 2024 Start > Sandhills Wetland Construction.
https://www.byron.nsw.gov.au/Your-Say-Byron-Shire/Environmental-Impact-S...

We ask you choose soft bulldozers & quiet croaking frogz for Royal Surf Palace crystal healing detox!

juegasiempre's picture
juegasiempre's picture
juegasiempre Wednesday, 24 Jan 2024 at 1:00pm
basesix wrote:

..too dark?)

Spent some time there recently and it's actually my 2nd favourite place in Victoria after PI. The real estate was crazy cheap already so I'm not sure how much lower it can go. The weather and a couple of other things put me off but other then that it was a really nice town, full of koalas(!), beautiful beaches and consistent surf options.

Check out Canadian rooster if you're in the area! A unique dining experience!

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 31 Jan 2024 at 3:54pm
freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 31 Jan 2024 at 3:56pm

So, another boom about to start?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 31 Jan 2024 at 4:44pm

Good question.
Seems like, generally speaking, the cost of living is biting and people are being very cautious with their money.
Around here, it seemed like a very quiet holiday season, and the business owners I talked to said people were very hesitant to splash out with discretionary spending.

Macrobusiness - "The RBA is too tight and will be going into hard reverse."
Sounds highly likely but will a drop in interest rates have any impact on demand for housing?

The Guardian - "While a drop in borrowing rates would normally be expected to spur demand, a range of factors that took some of the heat out of the market in the second half of 2023 would probably extend into this year.
These include mounting cost-of-living pressures, worsening affordability challenges, poor consumer sentiment and a rise in advertised housing stock levels."

Me - I think there's enough money around to keep things creeping back up.
Immigration is still a thing, renting is a horror show that everyone wants to bail from and and in the longer term, policy will be manipulated as required to prop up the Ponzi.
And if we get two rate cuts by the end of the year it will be excite a lot of people.
So for mine, no boom but steady as she goes, for better or for worse.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 31 Jan 2024 at 5:13pm
freeride76 wrote:

So, another boom about to start?

Inflation sensitive stocks like the big retail ones have been on a tear for a couple of months, banks going up quite a bit too - just what I've noticed. Does that constitute a boom?

As for housing, let's turn it up to 11

Young people, if reading, the time for project mayhem is nigh, you are being shafted

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 31 Jan 2024 at 5:15pm
monkeyboy's picture
monkeyboy's picture
monkeyboy Wednesday, 31 Jan 2024 at 6:20pm
velocityjohnno wrote:

this is what is going on

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-31/west-australian-rental-crisis-imp...

"Because investors coming in, getting a return on their investment actually boosts the amount of dwellings that are available to the rental market."

No ! FFS.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 1 Feb 2024 at 7:21pm
udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 1 Feb 2024 at 7:39pm

Exactly indo...

udo wrote:

Jack and Alana Offloading - Was up for Rent @ 1K per Week
https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-farrants+hill-143255116

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Friday, 2 Feb 2024 at 2:12pm

https://www.thenewdaily.com.au/finance/kohlers-finance-wrap/2024/02/02/a...

Everyone gloating we’ve done our job of cutting inflation without a recession. I’m not so convinced. Won’t take much at all for oil prices to spike up again which as we know then has a knock on effect to all things we do particularly in a big wide country like Oz where truck transport of all goods is a big part of our supply costs.

I’m believing we’re are now well within the financial melt up (just take a look at the rapid rise of the S&P now at ATHs) and it’s still got some rapid rising to go especially once they cut rates this year. 2023 looks to be a good ride for the stock market. But it will come down crashing hard thereafter IMO. I am still expecting a global financial crisis of epic proportions. Keep a close eye on your superannuation distributions. I’m riding this wave but will jump off the train sooner rather than later.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 5 Feb 2024 at 10:53am

Make of this what you will.
Sobering numbers from December.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-04/a-rate-cut-in-may-is-not-only-pos...

- overall employment fell by 65 000, biggest monthly drop since 1993

- full-time employment saw largest drop in full-time jobs in a month ever, behind only the initial COVID lockdown.
As a proportion of the population, it was fourth — behind COVID, December 1982 (during a recession) and November 1991 (also during a recession).

- Retail sales drop in December was the worst seasonally adjusted monthly result in the four-decade history of the retail sales data outside of two months in 2020 (COVID) and July 2000 (the introduction of the GST).

Now that inflation has been brought under control, let's see how quickly the RBA moves and if that movement will be too little, too late.
To a mug like me, those numbers above look pretty serious.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Monday, 5 Feb 2024 at 11:24am

Hey Andy

U are no mug and those figures ( which I am now not fed daily ) are serious .

I had a chat with the Fruit guy at the market on Saturday .

I said that Lemons are still expensive .

He said EVERYTHING is expensive and it is Serious .

I then asked if it was REALLY serious and he said NO , people still have a lot of money .

Heard today there are NO tomatoes growing here in Melbourne .

The Italians are freaking out as love there pasta sauce .

With the figures U mentioned and IF inflation is under control , the RBA will drop rates , maybe tomorrow ? If it's Tuesday and the first of the month ,haha tomorrow ( I am retired ) .

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 5 Feb 2024 at 12:08pm

Ain’t gonna be a rate cut this month or next. RBA sitting and watching.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Monday, 5 Feb 2024 at 12:16pm
AndyM wrote:

Make of this what you will.
Sobering numbers from December.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-04/a-rate-cut-in-may-is-not-only-pos...

- overall employment fell by 65 000, biggest monthly drop since 1993

- full-time employment saw largest drop in full-time jobs in a month ever, behind only the initial COVID lockdown.
As a proportion of the population, it was fourth — behind COVID, December 1982 (during a recession) and November 1991 (also during a recession).

- Retail sales drop in December was the worst seasonally adjusted monthly result in the four-decade history of the retail sales data outside of two months in 2020 (COVID) and July 2000 (the introduction of the GST).

Now that inflation has been brought under control, let's see how quickly the RBA moves and if that movement will be too little, too late.
To a mug like me, those numbers above look pretty serious.

Nothing unexpected. However, it proves the point that the latest rate rise was completely unnecessary.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 5 Feb 2024 at 12:20pm

Still plenty of money in the economy but clearly there's a growing number of people who are up shit creek.
Apart from the people who have recently found themselves unemployed as per above, I see the general situation like this -
The median income will no longer see you living comfortably, it's as simple as that.
According to the ABS, median income at the moment is about $55k per year gross, or about $1055 per week.
That'll pay rent, buy food, run a car and not a great deal more.
It's possible but you need to be a disciplined saver to think about building up a deposit for a house.
In other words, we're steadily heading towards a huge percentage of the population being something like working poor.
This is what you get when you live in a corporatocracy enabled by government policy.
This is neoliberalism.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Monday, 5 Feb 2024 at 12:21pm
velocityjohnno wrote:

this is what is going on

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-31/west-australian-rental-crisis-imp...

What's the problem? Family living together under the same roof? This is an honorable thing in some cultures.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 5 Feb 2024 at 12:23pm

Done by choice or necessity Flollo?

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Monday, 5 Feb 2024 at 12:34pm

I was being a bit sarcastic. Moving out is hard, especially in the current environment. But kids who stay and save money (for a house, investment, etc) should be praised and not seen as a problem as the media often describes them. It often makes a lot of sense to do that.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 5 Feb 2024 at 12:41pm

Nothing to do with cultural norms or whatever, the incidence of kids staying home is an economic barometer.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Monday, 5 Feb 2024 at 1:44pm

Yes, that is true. But it's also the one that is strongly influenced by culture. This is mostly analysed when performing cross-country comparisons. Countless research papers have been done on the subject and many confirm culture as one of the key drivers (not the only driver, gender for example is another one) of behavior.

This paper is a good example, section 2.3 - https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/psp.2476

"We first explore cultural characteristics of societies to explain cross-national differences in leaving home. One prominent cultural explanation is systematic variation in family systems along geographical lines. Reher (1998) has argued that a north–south gradient divides Europe into countries with a weak family system (centre and northern countries) and countries with a strong family system (the southern countries) based on religious traditions. Weak family systems are characterised as systems in which the individual takes precedence over the family, autonomy and independence are valued, and intergenerational ties are weaker. Strong family systems are systems in which the individual develops within the family, the family takes precedence over the individual, and intergenerational ties are strong. According to Reher (1998), early home leaving in the north and late home leaving in the south is a prime example of differences between the two regions in intergenerational support and values. Recent evidence suggests that the division into weak and strong family systems also applies to a division between the west and east, with stronger family norms in the east than in the west (Daatland et al., 2011). This fits with the Hajnal (1965) line that runs from Trieste to St. Peterburg and divides countries based on marriage patterns.

A second cultural explanation comes from the literature on the SDT. The SDT holds that the decrease in fertility, the increase in non-marital cohabitation, and the increase in divorce are connected and could be explained by an ideational shift (Lesthaeghe, 1983, 2007; Lesthaeghe & Surkyn, 1988; Van De Kaa, 1987). This ideational shift entails a shift from more altruistic to more individualistic norms and attitudes and secularisation as a manifestation of individual autonomy. The timing and speed of these changes differ between countries (Van De Kaa, 1987). Several scholars have made connections between the SDT and leaving home or the transition to adulthood more generally (Billari et al., 2001; Buchmann & Kriesi, 2011; Mulder et al., 2002). They argue that more individualistic values have led to a stronger desire for autonomy and made it more acceptable for young adults to leave home at a young age.

Only a few previous studies have examined cultural explanations for cross-national differences in leaving home. Iacovou (2002) shows that a higher percentage of Catholics in a country is associated with later home leaving. Research on individual norms regarding the age of leaving home shows that late home leaving is more accepted by people in southern and eastern regions of Europe than by people from northern and western regions and that these differences in norms are partially explained by the proportion of people in the region that belong to a religion (Aassve, Arpino, & Billari, 2013).

In our analyses, we compare country-periods based on religiosity, family values, and parental responsibilities. We define country-periods in which people are less religious, have more individualistic values, and ascribe fewer responsibilities to parents as individualistic and country-periods in which people are more religious, less individualistic, and ascribe more responsibilities to parents as familialistic. Our first hypothesis is as follows: Home-leaving rates are higher in country-periods that are more individualistic than in country-periods that are more familialistic (Hypothesis 1)."

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 5 Feb 2024 at 1:55pm

I think we’re talking about quite different things.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Monday, 5 Feb 2024 at 1:55pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
udo wrote:

https://www.abc.net.au/everyday/first-home-tiny-house-get-into-housing-m...

Good on them, that's how you do it.

This is awesome. I love to see thing like this.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Monday, 5 Feb 2024 at 9:24pm
juegasiempre wrote:

Spent some time there recently and it's actually my 2nd favourite place in Victoria after PI. The real estate was crazy cheap already so I'm not sure how much lower it can go. The weather and a couple of other things put me off but other then that it was a really nice town, full of koalas(!), beautiful beaches and consistent surf options.

Agree re prices, @juegasiempre, really interesting sized town too, 7k in the town, 10k if you include surrounds (about the same size as Castlemaine, Byron or Kingaroy..)
amazing coastal nature, and Melb tourists that 'do' the Great Ocean Road, turn back at Warrnambool.

(Heywood, the biggest town up the road is a rare size too - 1 pub, 1 proper supermarket, primary and high school.. property cheap as).

Portland is an underrated 4-pub fishing town, birthplace of Vic & the only deep-water port between Melbs and Adelaide (so, quite central, get in the car at 5am, you're eating lunch in Rundle St or Lygon St ; )

but weirdly cool size:
..it has a Woolies, an Aldi, an IGA, but NO Coles.
..Maccas and KFC, but NO Hungry Jacks.
3 sets of traffic lights, and they just got an OTR, which has teens stoked.

as it should be, for Bunnings/HarveyNorman/Dan's needs, 45 mins to Warrnambool or Mt Gambier. Far-out mix socio-economically and culturally.. think an isolated Hastings or Coolum.

(and yes, NO Red Rooster, it has Canadian Rooster; a grand chain with a shop in Portland and another in Hamilton.. avoid the coleslaw ; )

(...agree, their weather sucks, all very well to have different facing breaks, but when the wind is coming from the SW, S, SE all at the same time, 9 months of the year... well... only the dedicated few find the glorious winter windows..)

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Tuesday, 6 Feb 2024 at 1:24pm

BTW warehousing/industrial real estate is even crazier than housing. 20%+ YOY rental growth is now the norm. Huge demand with completely inadequate supply in the market.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Tuesday, 6 Feb 2024 at 2:10pm
flollo wrote:

BTW warehousing/industrial real estate is even crazier than housing. 20%+ YOY rental growth is now the norm. Huge demand with completely inadequate supply in the market.

Bizarre

What’s driving the demand?

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Tuesday, 6 Feb 2024 at 3:04pm

And there you have it.....pause.

https://www.thenewdaily.com.au/finance/consumer/2024/02/06/rba-interest-...

"But despite the expectation of cuts on the way, HSBC chief economist Paul Bloxham said Australia would likely be the among the last developed country to start lowering interest rates.

The RBA was one of the last to start hiking, lifted rates by less than many others and that inflation is falling more slowly in Australia than in, say, the US, Bloxham said.

Australia’s weak productivity growth – “distinctly worse than elsewhere” – was keeping unit labour costs too high to be consistent with returning inflation to target, he said."

Question is for how long?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 6 Feb 2024 at 3:59pm

"...The price of a large fries has increased by more than 50 per cent since 2019, from $3.20 to $4.85 as of this month..."

that's insane...

they're fucking potatoes!

(i think)

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/eat/fast-food-fans-break-up-with-...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 6 Feb 2024 at 4:02pm
donweather wrote:
flollo wrote:

Bizarre

What’s driving the demand?

living spaces?

online shopping?

dropshipping?

meanwhile... office spaces and shops...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 6 Feb 2024 at 4:04pm
basesix wrote:
juegasiempre wrote:

Agree re prices, @juegasiempre, really interesting sized town too, 7k in the town, 10k if you include surrounds (about the same size as Castlemaine, Byron or Kingaroy..)
amazing coastal nature, and Melb tourists that 'do' the Great Ocean Road, turn back at Warrnambool.

(Heywood, the biggest town up the road is a rare size too - 1 pub, 1 proper supermarket, primary and high school.. property cheap as).

Portland is an underrated 4-pub fishing town, birthplace of Vic & the only deep-water port between Melbs and Adelaide (so, quite central, get in the car at 5am, you're eating lunch in Rundle St or Lygon St ; )

but weirdly cool size:
..it has a Woolies, an Aldi, an IGA, but NO Coles.
..Maccas and KFC, but NO Hungry Jacks.
3 sets of traffic lights, and they just got an OTR, which has teens stoked.

as it should be, for Bunnings/HarveyNorman/Dan's needs, 45 mins to Warrnambool or Mt Gambier. Far-out mix socio-economically and culturally.. think an isolated Hastings or Coolum.

(and yes, NO Red Rooster, it has Canadian Rooster; a grand chain with a shop in Portland and another in Hamilton.. avoid the coleslaw ; )

(...agree, their weather sucks, all very well to have different facing breaks, but when the wind is coming from the SW, S, SE all at the same time, 9 months of the year... well... only the dedicated few find the glorious winter windows..)

I really regret not buying something there post covid when i was talking about it here, the prices are cheap compared to elsewhere but they still went up by a huge margin.

I could happily live there, that size town and distance from a major city i think is good.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Sunday, 18 Feb 2024 at 8:08pm

Insiders today. Greens MP Max Chandler-Mather. Do you support higher or lower immigration? Train wreck.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 18 Feb 2024 at 8:20pm

Agree indo on the town size & distance from city.

Now for some happy economic stats to start the next week.

Japan enters recession:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68302226

UK enters recession:

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-economy-in-a-recession-13071973

(sky balancing bbc there for a net 'impartial'). Australia won't enter recession as quantitative peopling.

Why China's deflation crisis is getting worse:

Russian Ghost fleet of oil tankers evaporating, excuse the pun:

Euro task force for Red Sea to join US, UK and co to play Houthi missile whack-a-mole:

https://www.twz.com/news-features/european-red-sea-naval-task-force-set-...

I can only think 'Aussie house prices up' after reading all that.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 18 Feb 2024 at 9:55pm
bonza wrote:

Insiders today. Greens MP Max Chandler-Mather. Do you support higher or lower immigration? Train wreck.

he was so confident (right) and on top of it until this point

one off script question and he was deer in the headlights

thankfully, speers pushed him where others would let it slide...

and yes, trainwreck

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Sunday, 18 Feb 2024 at 11:30pm

I gave it a shot and listened. This one just learned a whole bunch of theory but never did anything productive. He’s very green and it shows. A quick research suggests he never had a real job. I suggest he picks up the tools a bit and gets real life experience before preaching others.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Sunday, 18 Feb 2024 at 11:29pm

Comments on this one are interesting

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 19 Feb 2024 at 8:49am
bonza wrote:

That's something I could never come to grips with about the Greens - how can you call yourself a party of the environment and have no clear policy regarding population size?

I understand that they were wedged by Hanson's rhetoric regarding immigration but it seems to me there's some real cowardice in the leadership if they still can't come out and clearly communicate where they're at.

There's fluff on their website about sustainability, justice, equity and human rights but nothing of any substance, nothing that would stop them from agreeing to massive levels of immigration.

There's always the tired joke about The Greens being like a watermelon (green on the outside but red on the inside) but to me it seems like they're stuck in a neoliberal framework and they don't have the huevos grandes to provide an alternative to the lazy policy of high immigration.

This is why I haven't voted Greens for 25+ years.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 19 Feb 2024 at 9:37am

Sustainable Australia has a 'green' immigration policy.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 19 Feb 2024 at 10:18am

From the SA website -

"Population & Immigration (Australia)
Policy: Based on the best scientific advice and as a positive example to the rest of the world, stabilise Australia's population size as soon as practicable, aiming for a population target under 30 million through to and beyond 2050.

Key policy methods: Lower Australia's permanent immigration program from the current (post-2000, non-COVID) record of around 200,000 per annum back to a cap of 70,000 per annum, being Australia's average annual permanent intake level during the twentieth century."

Notwithstanding the fact that the in the 2022/23 financial year the ABS has migrant arrivals at 737,000 (!!), at least Sustainable Australia has the guts to put solid figures up.

Out of interest, that 737,000 is the size of the whole of the Gold Coast/Tweed Heads.
Added to Australia in 12 months.
And old mate from The Greens reckons it's a red herring to discuss this.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 19 Feb 2024 at 1:52pm

Yep it's even got a hospital.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Monday, 19 Feb 2024 at 2:02pm

Andy

Mate , U sure U are not a closet righty , as WE agree again !:))

Not sure what the Greens really are trying 2 achieve in Australia ,atm .

Only there 2 market to a Different ( inner Melbourne ) constituency that are all crazy permanent Social Warriors , without a cause .

Only have ONE voice and have given it 2 Albo ,

Their only Policy seems to be to want to raise OUR Electricity prices .

Lol - now I hear that they ONLY want 70k a year new immigrants FFS .

30m lol !!! F Me , we are nearly there !

Is that ANY refugees OR is that ALL refugees , I have NFI !!!

Why are they not screaming THAT 2 Albo and 2 us ???

So , 700 000 plus , have come in LAST year .

Shit , that's a US type number !!!

Did we OPEN our boarders like Biden ???

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Monday, 19 Feb 2024 at 6:37pm

This greens guy talks absolute nonsense. Firstly he talks about social housing but all in the context of structural change around negative gearing etc. There is nothing stopping any government from building social housing right now. Sure, some changes will help from the budgetary perspective but any government in Aus will manage around $2 trillion during its term. What about the state budgets? All the stamp duty they collected in the booming market? They get ~5% every time the property changes hands. And how many transactions did we see in the last 3-4 years? That’s an insane amount of money, saying that we can’t afford more social housing is basically saying that we don’t care about it. I suggest this MP put all his energy into pressuring government to build more social housing right now. Money is available, even issuing bonds would be easy and digestible by the electorate.

Secondly, he openly lies that migration doesn’t drive the demand for housing. He loves citing economists, research when it works in his favour but tends to ignore it when it doesn’t.

Thirdly, he’s an absolute mess in declaring what his or his party position is regarding immigration. It sounds like some open border leanings but weasels through it, tries to hide his true intentions.

All in all, an awful display of populism and a good display of incompetence.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 20 Feb 2024 at 9:32am

Bon Dieu, quelle surprise !
Greens politician with tenuous logic gets called out by pro-development "independent economist" on website whose business model revolves around real estate.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/no-max-we-don-t-really-have-a...

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Tuesday, 20 Feb 2024 at 11:49am

Hey Andy

Great spotting and the Greens Numbers are again Cherry Picked and turn out Rotten when analysed easily ffs !

There is a Million homes we CAN rent as they are a fn empty , on ONE night lol haha .

Gosh , sounds so friggin sensible haha in La La Land !

Good work , The Age !

Doesn't the drongo know , there is a Rental Crisis , in the Real World .

I have NFI what the Greens want to achieve , other than taxing one asset class ( property ) different 2 ALL the rest ( Keating tried it for a second ) .

Everything is controlled in OUR society , by the Markets !

Money is smart and naturally flows , to the most sensible homes .

No Person CAN control the Markets in Australia .

China are battling with their OWN Housing Market now and are just trying to keep it from getting angry .

What Do The Greens actually want 2 achieve in Australia , OTHER than wanting US 2 use LESS Electricity , that is realistic ?

There IS Vacant Land ALL around Melbourne ( Nurseries , Train Yards , badly located Factories ETC ) .

Where are the 700, 000 NEW arrivals going to LIVE ?

Lets start BUILDING some things we REALLY need ffs !!!

The Builders ie Property Developers , that we need 2 help , are bagged by this guy .

No wonder so many are going broke atm .

Everything seems to upside down , to this Old bloke ATM , and I don't like it , ONE fn bit !

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 20 Feb 2024 at 11:49am

Pop, I wasn’t really saying that that article was good. I was pointing out that it was biased with its own pro-development pro-real estate as an asset agenda.